Thread: Accident on FMR Trail: Runner and Bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Accident on FMR Trail: Runner and Bike.

My wife saw this on the MRTT list yesterday. Thought you all would appreciate it. Wow, what was this cyclist thinking/doing? Talk about making us look bad. (admittedly, this is a one sided perspective) Anyone have any insight? Here is the initial posting:

All, please keep Laura redacted in your thoughts and prayers. This morning during our walk with the Run+Coffee group, Laura was struck from behind by a bicyclist going top speed down Four Mile Run Trial. He was traveling so fast I barely had time to say, “there is a bike” before he hit her. We were doing everything correctly: walking on our side of the trail at a normal pace, wearing bright visible colors and not moving erratically... he didn’t give any warning that he was approaching and I doubt he even slowed down before hitting her.

The paramedics originally took Laura to Virginia Hospital Center, and she is now being moved to Walter Reed Medical Hospital, where her neurosurgeon is waiting to see her. I’ve been in contact with Laura’s husband, Chris, and he tells me that she either has subdural hemotomal or brain bleeding. I feel so bad for her. It was a horrible accident to witness, and I know that she must be in a lot of pain right now. I will keep you all posted on her development. Once we get the all clear for visitors, I will see if we can go visit her.

I gave a full accident report to the paramedics and to the policeman that came to the scene, and gave Chris redacted the cyclist’s contact information. I am in shock and so sad that one of our own got hurt. Please send love and good vibes to Laura!

From other commentary in the group, the cycilist was also injured and stayed on scene for medical support and to talk to the police. By other accounts they were on a nice clear stretch of the FMR trail, didn't ninja, and there were no other cyclists or the like around. My wife runs with this group, and knowing a number of the women, they take their part in trail safety pretty seriously.

What a sad event.

JG

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Begin ebike debate.

Hope everyone heals up ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Begin ebike debate.

Hope everyone heals up ok.
    More like "roadies on trails" debate, though who knows what happened in this case. Really a shame, and a reminder to all of us to be courteous and cautious on MUPs.

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a**holes on the trails. Except for a few (generally well marked) blind corners, 4MR has great visibility. No reason you can't ride at a pretty good clip when the trail is clear. This is just a cyclist failing to exercise due care.

7. Likes streetsmarts, Judd, secstate liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be very interested in hearing the cyclist's story--not to defend--but to determine what happened. I highly doubt he deliberately ran into this person. Was it distracted riding? Did he miscalculate a pass? Try to split the middle with oncoming traffic? It just seems weird that someone would run directly into someone walking on the trail if they were actually paying attention - even a**holes don't do that.

9. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At what time did it happen?