Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Capitol Hill parking lots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capitol Hill parking lots

Does anyone else find that the various parking lots and roads inside the US Capitol Complex that have the big vehicle barriers and the raised bollards to be INCREDIBLY frustrating? This basically forces bikes up onto the sidewalk ( which is legal). Even though sidewalk riding is totally legal, it is frustrating...

It sure would be nice if they made those vehicle barriers more bike friendly, but I am sure that is at the bottom of the AOC agenda. Has anyone ever tried at all to request easier bike access?

I have been practicing jumping up onto bigger and bigger curbs, so I can defeat some of those bollards
    Last edited by skins_brew; 10-22-2017 at 12:50 PM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the AOC (which is very bike friendly) has this high on their agenda. But it's Capitol Police that puts a stop to grand plans.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they actually have some plans to improve bike parking around the congressional office buildings. There never seems to be enough space (especially on the Senate side!) no thanks to the fence-style racks many buildings have.

Plus while I used to lock up to "No Parking" signs, the Capitol Police have been asking me to move... usually after watching me spend 2 minutes to carefully lock up, then approaching me and asking "Excuse me ma'am, is that your bike?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I actually think the AOC (which is very bike friendly) has this high on their agenda. But it's Capitol Police that puts a stop to grand plans.
    The weird thing is that they clearly don't care if you bike through those lots, as there are a few where I can jump the little curb where the bollards are, or slip between the barricades. All they really have to do is slightly modify the vehicle barricades so a bike can go through- OR, on several of the lots, they can just add ramps so bikes can go through the bollards. I almost hit Marco Rubio the other day when I was riding on the sidewalk

Just add a litte ramp so we can get through!
    Name:  Screenshot from 2017-10-22 12-41-54.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  18.6 KB
    Last edited by skins_brew; 10-22-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    I hope they actually have some plans to improve bike parking around the congressional office buildings. There never seems to be enough space (especially on the Senate side!) no thanks to the fence-style racks many buildings have.

Plus while I used to lock up to "No Parking" signs, the Capitol Police have been asking me to move... usually after watching me spend 2 minutes to carefully lock up, then approaching me and asking "Excuse me ma'am, is that your bike?"
    I work at LOC and there is a decent number of racks around the building, but they are all packed to the gills. They have employee bike parking in the garage, but I am still waiting on my parking permit

When I first saw the public racks I considered them to be pretty safe considering the amount of capitol police at all of the various posts in the very immediate area, but someone told me bikes still get stolen/messed with,