Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arlington's First Combination Little Free Library & Bike Repair Station

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    One month and three days til first theft. Pump, wrench, Allen keys all gone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Goniffs!!!! That sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    That's too bad. Have you thought about using wire rope like the commercial bike repair stations? Aluminum ferrules require a swaging tool for installation, but even bolt-on rope clips would slow down most would-be thieves. Certainly more theft-proof than parachute cord.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I just looked into this and what's involved. I think it's the right call.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all the stuff you need to make up good wire rope tethers. Cable in various sizes, fittings and the proper pro grade tools to crimp everything up. Bring the tools to me and I can crimp up cables to the tools and to threaded eye bolts or some other retainer. Wil take about 10 min at best to make everything up in pro grade form. You then run the threaded bolt through the box and fasten with a lock nut. I can make up some round side lock nuts so the wrench you provide can't remove the nut that retains it. Another way is a bike type padlock. Loop the cables on the shackel then run it through the side of the box or around a post. You cannot stop someone that is determined but you can make it a bit harder to perhaps deter the casual jerk that makes it so we can't have nice things.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 11-29-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Two developments.

First, there's a new full set of tools at my library. Many thanks to everyone who recommended the new attachment mechanism. I doubt my crimps are as professional as vicegrip would have done, but I felt like I needed to be able to do it myself.

Second, Judd noticed that Dorcester Apartments has added tools to their little free library as well!

https://twitter.com/LumberjackCycle/...69170912497664

5. Likes dasgeh, Boomer2U, Starduster, Sunyata, VA2DC and 5 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Two developments.

First, there's a new full set of tools at my library. Many thanks to everyone who recommended the new attachment mechanism. I doubt my crimps are as professional as vicegrip would have done, but I felt like I needed to be able to do it myself.

Second, Judd noticed that Dorcester Apartments has added tools to their little free library as well!

https://twitter.com/LumberjackCycle/...69170912497664
    Stopped by the newly rededicated Slatt Family fixit library today. Looks like the new cable will deter the casual thief.

The medallion on the front was also slightly askew. I fixed it but it looks like the top piece attaching it to the library might be damaged.

Here’s my urban assault bike taking a break at the library.

7. Likes dasgeh, Boomer2U, Starduster, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The medallion on the front was also slightly askew. I fixed it but it looks like the top piece attaching it to the library might be damaged.
    Thanks, I got the same sort of report from someone who logged the geocache today. Sounds like the glue holding one of the magnets has let go.