Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Do Spammers Like This Forum So Much?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

As staff at BikeArlington, I'm definitely interested in conversations on how to improve the forum for users and reduce spammers. We've been having issues more frequently, and the notifications when you all flag something usually come right to my email so I can deal with them, but something in an update seems to have broken that, so you're seeing spam posts up for longer.

Near term, I'm definitely game to work with some frequent volunteer users who might be interested in assisting with spam moderation. I'll ask our tech help if there are other implementation steps, like those mentioned by Vicegrip and seconded by a few folks on this thread and report back to you all.

If you're interested in assisting with spam moderation, shoot me an email at erin.potter@bikearlington.com.

Definitely want to give huge thanks to all of you who do flag spam, and all of you on this thread thinking about how to make things better. We're open to longer-term solutions, too.

2. Likes huskerdont, Judd, jabberwocky, Tania liked this post
    ELITE Tim Kelley ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Hi All,

As staff at BikeArlington, I'm definitely interested in conversations on how to improve the forum for users and reduce spammers. We've been having issues more frequently, and the notifications when you all flag something usually come right to my email so I can deal with them, but something in an update seems to have broken that, so you're seeing spam posts up for longer.

Near term, I'm definitely game to work with some frequent volunteer users who might be interested in assisting with spam moderation. I'll ask our tech help if there are other implementation steps, like those mentioned by Vicegrip and seconded by a few folks on this thread and report back to you all.

If you're interested in assisting with spam moderation, shoot me an email at erin.potter@bikearlington.com.

Definitely want to give huge thanks to all of you who do flag spam, and all of you on this thread thinking about how to make things better. We're open to longer-term solutions, too.
    Is there any way to update the forum software, and incorporate the anti-spam measures I mentioned? Having an army of volunteers to get rid of the spam after it's posted seems rather inefficient.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    It's time for me to come clean.... I've been a spambot this entire time.
    As I always suspected. No actual human being could possibly ride so many Hains Point laps without going insane.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    One of them got me to waste some time and answer a question it asked.
    I have learned to look at the poster's location on the top right to see if it's spam or not.

Post Thanks / Like

While in the subject of forum software, for guests only; this forum follows central time during summer time. It's on eastern time now for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    No actual human being could possibly ride so many Hains Point laps without going insane.
    Who said he isn't?

10. Likes Emm liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Is there any way to update the forum software, and incorporate the anti-spam measures I mentioned? Having an army of volunteers to get rid of the spam after it's posted seems rather inefficient.
    You always need moderators, there's not an anti-spam measure in the world that hasn't been defeated.