Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do Spammers Like This Forum So Much?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Do Spammers Like This Forum So Much?

I don't think I've ever been on a forum that gets quite so much spam, especially for phones. Why are the WABA forums so attractive to to smart phone salesbots?

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I don't think I've ever been on a forum that gets quite so much spam, especially for phones. Why are the WABA forums so attractive to to smart phone salesbots?
    Might be ease of access. I buddy manages a local car forum. I asked him about spam and bots and the like. He said they are probing the board all the time and he has to stay on top of them. Seems that it used to be bots posting random word groups and a link. Now there is some almost coherent post and then the link. I say lock the ability to include hot links to more than 50 posts. If someone with less needs to post a link they can send the post to a mod and have it approved. This won't stop the type like today as it does not have a hot link. Give some forum members the ability to temp block posts and posters to increase the speed that the posts are pulled down. When the spammers see they they only get one or 3 views before the spam is pulled they will go elsewhere.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 10-12-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Might be ease of access. I buddy manages a local car forum. I asked him about spam and bots and the like. He said they are probing the board all the time and he has to stay on top of them. Seems that it used to be bots posting random word groups and a link. Now there is some almost coherent post and then the link. I say lock the ability to include hot links to more than 50 posts. If someone with less needs to post a link they can send the post to a mod and have it approved. This won't stop the type like today as it does not have a hot link. Give some forum members the ability to temp block posts and posters to increase the speed that the posts are pulled down. When the spammers see they they only get one or 3 views before the spam is pulled they will go elsewhere.
    Maybe it is time to repaint the white bicycle.

5. Likes Judd liked this post
  6. 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of things. First, vBulletin is beloved by spammers - https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...Vbulletin.html . Second, the forum has chosen to be easier for new members to join on the "easy to join" <--> "totally locked down" spectrum. The admins are all volunteers. They're good at cleaning spam up once it's found, but they can't monitor the forums 24/7 like full-timers might.

Post Thanks / Like

The pool of security questions needed to post is very small, and probably does not change enough. In reality, they need to can the static questions and move to a recaptcha type system, or get more moderators

Post Thanks / Like

My job revolves around making a bunch of security patches. Discovering all the things that we broke with the security patches. Fixing the broken stuff and... you can probably see where this is going.

10. Likes Jenkinms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, modern IT. Fix something; break something. Fix the thing we broke. Break the thing we fixed.

Imagine if your plumber pulled the same sh*t:

Fix leaky faucet in kitchen.

basement floods 8 inches.

drain basement.

(6 weeks later) everyone in neighborhood has low water pressure.

fix pressure.

faucet in bathroom starts dripping. response from plumber, "well, my faucet isn't leaking!"

(4 weeks later) open up sock drawer in bedroom; socks are soaking wet.
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 10-12-2017 at 06:43 PM.

12. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    ahhh, modern IT. Fix something; break something. Fix the thing we broke. Break the thing we fixed.

Imagine if your plumber pulled the same sh*t:

Fix leaky faucet in kitchen.
    Imagine if every teenager in Eastern Europe could reach and hundreds of them were trying to mess up your kitchen plumbing...

14. Likes Subby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, this is getting out of hand. 21 out of 45 threads in "New Posts" are spam. This forum has always been a spam magnet for whatever reason, but...

Post Thanks / Like

It’s because it isn’t getting removed. Most of that spam is link farming for search engine purposes, so the point is to have it stay up, and whoever moderates this place isn’t around to remove it. Makes this forum an attractive target.