Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Spammers Like This Forum So Much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I haven't looked at the details here, but I suspect the accounts are created by humans, so robot protection there won't do a lot of good. Requiring recaptcha for posts could work ... Except that probably breaks Tapatalk.

There needs to be more stringent vetting of applications, to include all the bot protections (just in case), but also probably quarantine period (e.g. where there posts have to be individually approved), etc. And then some sort of spam content filtering on posting would be good. I don't know how much if that this forum software supports. But whatever is being used now clearly isn't working.

Some of the spam is really well done, though, so as to be hard to distinguish from real content.
    One of them got me to waste some time and answer a question it asked.

Can it be set so any post with a link in it has to be approved by a human unless posted by a long term member? Say less than 50 or XX posts you need approval for any posts with hot link. Also set up a volunteer team of Spam Hunters. Four or five frequent visitors so empowered can weed a forum with ease.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 11-06-2017 at 08:40 AM.

2. Likes hozn, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time for me to come clean.... I've been a spambot this entire time.

4. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post

Can it be set so any post with a link in it has to be approved by a human unless posted by a long term member? Say less than 50 or XX posts you need approval for any posts with hot link. Also set up a volunteer team of Spam Hunters. Four or five frequent visitors so empowered can weed a forum with ease.
    I think it's something that can be done, and I'm pretty sure it can be done even on the older version we're using here. The question is: who can actually make that happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I think it's something that can be done, and I'm pretty sure it can be done even on the older version we're using here. The question is: who can actually make that happen?
    Who is in charge?

Might not be SFW with the sound on.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f96p-IhcZhQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    i keep waiting for someone to come out with forum software that's actually a reimagination of this rather than incremental upgrades on what we've been using since pretty much the dawn of the internet.
    Have you seen Discourse?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like an excellent solution.

9. Likes anomad liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Have you seen Discourse?
    Looks like Stackoverflow. Is it the same codebase? And it looks nice but not really a reimagining. More like a facelift.

Post Thanks / Like

Who is in charge?

Might not be SFW with the sound on.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f96p-IhcZhQ
    Good question I do not have an answer to. So, I sent a link to your post and this thread as a message to the site admin. through the "Contact Us" link to see if that gets to anyone...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Looks like Stackoverflow. Is it the same codebase? And it looks nice but not really a reimagining. More like a facelift.
    I just really love the layout. Each topic is shown chronological like it's flat, except if there are replies you can load them right then and there in context and also if it's a reply to something you can load what it's a reply to right there in context. I really feel like they managed to find a layout that combines all of the advantages of a flat chronological layout with most of the advantages of a threaded view simultaneously.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Have you seen Discourse?
    That looks great.

Maybe it is time to bring this forum into 21st century?

Who can actually make that decision? Maybe we just setup a trial and if everyone agrees it is an improvement, we move to switch the various urls -- maybe keeping a read-only version of this around for reference? I don't think there is any point in trying to import data(?)

We probably should take this discussion to Henry by email.