Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Spammers Like This Forum So Much?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just that it's not getting removed--it's that there is so much to begin with. My own site has a bunch of traps for spammers, including a honeypot, fields that have to be filled in with specific things or the form won't submit, and Google reCAPTCHA. It stops the spambots cold. But this forum does not appear to have as strong a system.

Post Thanks / Like

Search engine optimization (SEO) is a big business, unfortunately, some pay others regardless of whether they use ethical or non-ethical methods as long as their website shows up in the top 10 for certain keywords:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search...hat_techniques

This forum is using rotating static questions, but the spammers maybe using just one answer, such as "bike", and resubmit the same answer several times which gets through after few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Search engine optimization (SEO) is a big business, unfortunately, some pay others regardless of whether they use ethical or non-ethical methods as long as their website shows up in the top 10 for certain keywords:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search...hat_techniques

This forum is using rotating static questions, but the spammers maybe using just one answer, such as "bike", and resubmit the same answer several times which gets through after few times.
    There are much more effective methods, though:

* Google reCAPTCHA (that "Are you a bot?" thing) is a very sophisticated one that checks for patterns (e.g., are you filling in the form faster than a normal human), and presents you with a challenge if you look like a bot.
    * A honeypot is a question which is made invisible to normal users, but remains visible to spambots. If anything is filled in, the form won't submit.
    * Akismet is a system that checks the name and e-mail address used to register against known spammers.

Each of these will drastically reduce the amount of spam you get. Using several of them together can get the number down to pretty close to zero.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have yes or no questions like "Are eBikes cool?"

That would keep out a ton of spam.

5. Likes ursus, Judd liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

We're also two versions behind on version 4, and version 5 came out in 2013. So likely current spam fighting techniques haven't been getting added to our forum in at least 3-4 years. A lot has changed in that time. Losing Tim Kelley, one of the most active admins (as far as I could tell) also likely hurt. Don't think this is very high priority that the people writing checks care a lot about.

i keep waiting for someone to come out with forum software that's actually a reimagination of this rather than incremental upgrades on what we've been using since pretty much the dawn of the internet.

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    We're also two versions behind on version 4, and version 5 came out in 2013. So likely current spam fighting techniques haven't been getting added to our forum in at least 3-4 years. A lot has changed in that time. Losing Tim Kelley, one of the most active admins (as far as I could tell) also likely hurt. Don't think this is very high priority that the people writing checks care a lot about.

i keep waiting for someone to come out with forum software that's actually a reimagination of this rather than incremental upgrades on what we've been using since pretty much the dawn of the internet.
    The spammers are getting a bit thick. I am a member if a local self funded car forum that is not attached to any brand or group. We have a group of the long time members that form a board and are given some admin functions such as pulling up the spam weeds and deleting the spammers account. Many hands makes for light work. The admin does all the technical work and the helpers do the field work. Perhaps a mix of update the software and add a few helpers.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 11-05-2017 at 08:43 AM.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    The spammers are getting a bit thick. I am a member if a local self funded car forum that is not attached to any brand or group. We have a group of the long time members that form a board and are given some admin functions such as pulling up the spam weeds and deleting the spammers account. Many hands makes for light work. The admin does all the technical work and the helpers do the field work. Perhaps a mix of update the software and add a few helpers.
    Yep, current version allows for Google reCAPTCHA, honeypot, and Akismet. If you activate all three, you can pretty much eliminate spam. But not updating for four years is rather an issue, since spammers have become a lot more resourceful in that time.

11. Likes Judd, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is the mod team here? I know Tim was the admin for a long time, but I don't know that he visits anymore. Maybe the forum needs to appoint a few junior mods to help smack the spammer moles down.

13. Likes Emm, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Who is the mod team here? I know Tim was the admin for a long time, but I don't know that he visits anymore. Maybe the forum needs to appoint a few junior mods to help smack the spammer moles down.
    There are MANY to smack down. The "Your Latest Bike Project" thread, just by itself, is overrun with them.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't looked at the details here, but I suspect the accounts are created by humans, so robot protection there won't do a lot of good. Requiring recaptcha for posts could work ... Except that probably breaks Tapatalk.

There needs to be more stringent vetting of applications, to include all the bot protections (just in case), but also probably quarantine period (e.g. where there posts have to be individually approved), etc. And then some sort of spam content filtering on posting would be good. I don't know how much if that this forum software supports. But whatever is being used now clearly isn't working.

Some of the spam is really well done, though, so as to be hard to distinguish from real content.