Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Spring to Georgetown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Silver Spring to Georgetown

Hello,
    Does anyone know the best/safest route to commute from Silver Spring to Georgetown?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What part of Silver Spring? It's huge.

Post Thanks / Like

And what is your tolerance for riding in traffic?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming from right around Wayne and Flower Ave (not too far from the metro station). Ideally, I'd like to stay off of busy roads as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Sligo to Maple, turn right. Ride up to Aspen, go under the RR tracks to Blair. Stay on Blair a half block, then take the soft right onto 3rd. Ride Third to Kansas, take a right. Kansas to Upshur, take a right. Ride Upshur to Arkansas, take a left, and go 1 1/2 blocks to Piney Branch and take another left. Ride Piney Branch to Beach Drive, get on just until Porter and then hop onto the Rock Creek trail (it's been reopened there). Take trail to Georgetown.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know how it works out. I've ridden only about 90% of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

How is Piney Branch to Beach Dr? I've driven that a few times and it's not that cool. I always get to Beach by continuing on Upshur then bombing down Mathewson to Blagden, but I've only done that on the weekends.

As an alternate, I might take Kansas all the way to Randolph, left then first right on 10th. Right on Spring, left on 11th, right on Vermont, right on R, left on 17th, right on M. That's pretty quiet until M and then godspeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    How is Piney Branch to Beach Dr? I've driven that a few times and it's not that cool. I always get to Beach by continuing on Upshur then bombing down Mathewson to Blagden, but I've only done that on the weekends.

As an alternate, I might take Kansas all the way to Randolph, left then first right on 10th. Right on Spring, left on 11th, right on Vermont, right on R, left on 17th, right on M. That's pretty quiet until M and then godspeed.
    That's the part I hadn't ridden. I'd be tempted to try your way. I have to say, riding on the RCP trail sounds like it would be better than riding on streets, but I kind of don't like it very much. There just aren't a lot of good routes through Mount Pleasant/Columbia Heights.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option is 11th to Columbia then after you cross 16th St, take the first right after the little park then left at the T to go down Harvard. If you go straight into the zoo you can go left and get on the trail there, although there's a crummy spot where you have to cross RCP.

Columbia to Adams Mill/Calvert then left onto the trail just after Connecticut isn't too terrible.