Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Creek to 27 Trail

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rock Creek to 27 Trail

Am I missing something? Is there a safe and convenient way to get from the Rock Creek Trail along the Kennedy Center to the 27 Trail without going all the way down to the Arlington National Cemetery Metro and crossing the GW Parkway like 12 times? Or is that the only option at this point?

Illustration:

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

No way to avoid the GW parkway. But if you ride down RCP on the south side of the volleyball courts, you can then hang a left around the north side of the Lincoln, then hang a right and cross Lincoln Memorial Circle, then ride around southwest around the Lincoln to 23rd and take a right, then make another right to get on the downriver side of the Memorial bridge trail. It's kinda ridiculous, but less complicated than it sounds. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean...

Like this:

Attachment 15528
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 10-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It can't be done. Which will serve Virginia right for dissing Maryland drivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    It can't be done. Which will serve Virginia right for dissing Maryland drivers.
    So are you saying it is NOT true that it is mandatory for Maryland DMV to issue the War of 1812 plates to all drivers convicted of moving violations?

5. Likes Jenkinms, Sunyata, Steve O liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Go around the Lincoln and cross the bridge on the downstream side, which is what you should always do. If you cross on the upstream side, you have to cross 4 lanes of drivers who think they're done with streets and are already on 395. At least the crossings that get you to the 27 trail are only 2 lanes.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    No way to avoid the GW parkway. But if you ride down RCP on the south side of the volleyball courts, you can then hang a left around the north side of the Lincoln, then hang a right and cross Lincoln Memorial Circle, then ride around southwest around the Lincoln to 23rd and take a right, then make another right to get on the downriver side of the Memorial bridge trail. It's kinda ridiculous, but less complicated than it sounds. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean...

Like this:

Attachment 15528
    You mean go all the way to the entrance to Ohio Drive, then come back to the Lincoln? Why not just use the sidewalks around the Lincoln to go around the Lincoln? Much straighter shot, and if there are too many tourists out that day, you can always use the western way around.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    You mean go all the way to the entrance to Ohio Drive, then come back to the Lincoln? Why not just use the sidewalks around the Lincoln to go around the Lincoln? Much straighter shot, and if there are too many tourists out that day, you can always use the western way around.
    I don't think that's what I'm saying...I just meant use the sidewalks to go around the Lincoln, basically. I'd take them on the western side pretty much always just to avoid peds.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody! It appears all of the options suck, but your suggestions suck less than what I was doing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Thanks everybody! It appears all of the options suck, but your suggestions suck less than what I was doing!
    I'm surprised you were going that way. Crossing the Parkway on that side of the bridge is scary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm surprised you were going that way. Crossing the Parkway on that side of the bridge is scary.
    Scary as hell. Twice was enough to make me think "there must be some other option".

I don't normally ride in DC and when I do, I don't typically head west from Memorial Bridge, so it was only recently that I ever tried it.