Likes Likes:  125
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Avenue is Combat

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that you only called the driver a “bozo” is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems you got the license plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    ...and bongos. Don't forget the bongos.
    "The legendary hitch-hiker says that he knows where it's at
    Now he'd like to go to Spain or somewhere like that
    With his two-tone Bible and his funny cigarettes
    His suntan lotion and his castanets" Elvis Costello

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard, the pbl has been pretty much completely appropriated by people walking during the busy evening hours.
    I'm thinking it might be fun for a group of 10 or 20 of us to ride up and down the bike lanes politely ringing our bells. Not as one big clumpy group, but as a steady stream, with a cyclist or two or three coming by every 15 or 30 seconds. After an hour or two I wonder if the walkers would get the idea?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    ... After an hour or two I wonder if the walkers would get the idea?
    Nope, those walkers will be long gone.

To really strike fear in their hearts, get a few of these guys to go back and forth all night long.

Name:  castelliman.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  97.5 KB

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard, the pbl has been pretty much completely appropriated by people walking during the busy evening hours.
    I'm thinking it might be fun for a group of 10 or 20 of us to ride up and down the bike lanes politely ringing our bells. Not as one big clumpy group, but as a steady stream, with a cyclist or two or three coming by every 15 or 30 seconds. After an hour or two I wonder if the walkers would get the idea?

That is not in fact the case. While there are pedestrians, anyone comfortable riding slowly on a crowded trail should be able to ride just fine on the PBL - keep your speed below 10 MPH or so, and be alert. It is not like riding on a crowded sidewalk. For comparison, try riding on the shared street on the water side of the development.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that the fault of the PBL being overtaken by pedestrians lies in its poor design/placement rather than with the pedestrians. I think the PBL should've gone on the north side of Maine. It might require some users to make an extra crossing of Maine, but it avoids the mess that is the de facto drop-off/idle area directly along the Wharf storefront areas and would almost completely eliminate bike/ped interactions. It would also provide a more direct link to Banneker Park.

If it were up to me, the bike route would go along Maine from Ohio (as it already does), cross Maine at the Fish Market to the newly refurb'd area at Banneker park, then turn into a PBL along the north side of Maine that would extend to at least 6th/M SW.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    It seems to me that the fault of the PBL being overtaken by pedestrians lies in its poor design/placement rather than with the pedestrians.
    Agreed. Consider that the pedestrian path there is pretty piss poor..... and the majority of the time the bike path is devoid of traffic. This was poor design.

They are already uninstalling bike racks from the dock side - and installing them street side - crowding the street side paths even more. The design gets worse.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    It seems to me that the fault of the PBL being overtaken by pedestrians lies in its poor design/placement rather than with the pedestrians. I think the PBL should've gone on the north side of Maine. It might require some users to make an extra crossing of Maine, but it avoids the mess that is the de facto drop-off/idle area directly along the Wharf storefront areas and would almost completely eliminate bike/ped interactions. It would also provide a more direct link to Banneker Park.

If it were up to me, the bike route would go along Maine from Ohio (as it already does), cross Maine at the Fish Market to the newly refurb'd area at Banneker park, then turn into a PBL along the north side of Maine that would extend to at least 6th/M SW.
    If the PBL were on the north side of Maine, there would be riders on the sidewalk on the south side of Maine, as on so many sidewalks in this area. The PBL has performed admirably in keeping CaBi riders, riders going to and from the wharf, off the sidewalk proper. It is not a great solution for non bikeshare through riders, but it's not as terrible as made out (even at PM rush), and will get at least slightly better when phase 2 of the wharf is completed, because the current sidewalk south of the Wharf is a problem - it both is a poor bike route, and it funnels peds onto the PBL instead of onto the Wharf sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Agreed. Consider that the pedestrian path there is pretty piss poor..... and the majority of the time the bike path is devoid of traffic. This was poor design.

They are already uninstalling bike racks from the dock side - and installing them street side - crowding the street side paths even more. The design gets worse.
    Can I get a ped path that wide and unobstructed on upper King Street? Pretty please?