Likes Likes:  161
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Maine Avenue is Combat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I will be away this Friday, but I am interested.
    Hopefully there are others who are also interested. As to when, I should probably leave it to others because I am retired. Of course the date and time which is picked will probably conflict with something that I am doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry I'm not stopping

Anyone notice the new "slow" and "stop" lettering accompanied by a white solid line (like that on the road where a car gets to a 4-way intersection) AT EVERY INTERSECTION along the bike route infront of the wharf?

Am I the only one who thinks that including these lettered-signals on the bike path puts the onus on the cyclist to prevent accidents where cars pull into and outof the wharf rather than requiring cars to yield when cyclists/pedestrians have the walk signal or where there is no walk signal/light? If a car hits you they can claim you had a stop, and they did not. Oh, and for each of those intersections where a car is coming out between building exiting the wharf, there is no solid large white line telling them where they need to stop before proceeding to cross the pedestrian and bike paths.

Seems a little unfair to the bikers. Makes me want to use Maine Ave. just to avoid having to stop at each intersection. Who am I kidding..... I'M NOT STOPPING (unless I have the red light)!

Seems like they are making it less and less conventient to use the designated bike path by the wharf each week. They also need to repaint the "cyclist" or "bike" icon on the ground to signal to pedestrians the intent of the path. That seems much more noticble than the small signs posted on poles. There used to be pictures of bikes on the ground if I remember correctly but they have since washed away.

Who do we contact about these things??!??!!!??

3. Likes ursus, lordofthemark, elbows liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanaeBixby View Post
    Anyone notice the new "slow" and "stop" lettering accompanied by a white solid line (like that on the road where a car gets to a 4-way intersection) AT EVERY INTERSECTION along the bike route infront of the wharf?

Am I the only one who thinks that including these lettered-signals on the bike path puts the onus on the cyclist to prevent accidents where cars pull into and outof the wharf rather than requiring cars to yield when cyclists/pedestrians have the walk signal or where there is no walk signal/light? If a car hits you they can claim you had a stop, and they did not. Oh, and for each of those intersections where a car is coming out between building exiting the wharf, there is no solid large white line telling them where they need to stop before proceeding to cross the pedestrian and bike paths.

Seems a little unfair to the bikers. Makes me want to use Maine Ave. just to avoid having to stop at each intersection. Who am I kidding..... I'M NOT STOPPING (unless I have the red light)!

Seems like they are making it less and less conventient to use the designated bike path by the wharf each week. They also need to repaint the "cyclist" or "bike" icon on the ground to signal to pedestrians the intent of the path. That seems much more noticble than the small signs posted on poles. There used to be pictures of bikes on the ground if I remember correctly but they have since washed away.

Who do we contact about these things??!??!!!??
    The public outreach person for the Wharf is Elinor Bacon, ebacon@erbacondevelopment.com. Have they fixed the pothole caused by illegal construction crew at the Wharf yet?

I saw that lettering too, I have never seen any guidance suggesting this. In fact, newer guidance does not suggest trail users "stop" as a precaution, those trail stop signs were meant as a warning.

I don't know why they do not have marked crosswalks and white stop bars although that would not stop most people anyways. They have dedicated police officers for the Wharf, I wish they would do some block the box enforcement.

5. Likes JanaeBixby, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the NACTO guidance, it does not appear that the Wharf cycletrack is compliant. The conflict zones should be green and while parking may be officially set back 30' from the driveway crossings, illegal parking often occurs, so some kind of barrier is necessary.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NACTO Guidance on cycletrack minor street crossings.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	18467
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NACTO Guidance on raised cycletracks 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	18468

7. Likes JanaeBixby, Steve O, dasgeh, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    The public outreach person for the Wharf is Elinor Bacon, ebacon@erbacondevelopment.com. Have they fixed the pothole caused by illegal construction crew at the Wharf yet?

I saw that lettering too, I have never seen any guidance suggesting this. In fact, newer guidance does not suggest trail users "stop" as a precaution, those trail stop signs were meant as a warning.

I don't know why they do not have marked crosswalks and white stop bars although that would not stop most people anyways. They have dedicated police officers for the Wharf, I wish they would do some block the box enforcement.
    Ugh no- they threw some pebbles into the pothole but a pothole with pebbles is still a pothole.

Post Thanks / Like

Default STOP! In the na-a-a-a-a-a-a-ame of LOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by JanaeBixby View Post

What would concern me about such features is that in the event of an accident, the cyclist can be assessed with some degree of contributory negligence, reducing any potential award from a damage suit, and perhaps making it impossible to collect at all. If it says "STOP" on the cycletrack, you can bet a driver's insurer or lawyer is going to say a collision was the cyclist's fault, despite it not being at all in compliance with federal standards.

I have not been down on Maine Ave on two wheels since last fall (2017), and then again this past summer, and it was a horrible mess both times. I really feel for anyone who cycle commutes through there.
    Last edited by Mariner; 10-23-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammar

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    What would concern me about such features is that in the event of an accident, the cyclist can be assessed with some degree of contributory negligence, reducing any potential award from a damage suit, and perhaps making it impossible to collect at all. If it says "STOP" on the cycletrack, you can bet a driver's insurer or lawyer is going to say a collision was the cyclist's fault, despite it not being at all in compliance with federal standards.
    I'm no lawyer so don't ride according to anything I state, but it's my understanding that DC is no longer operating under contributory negligence. Comparative negligence now, with those considered to be <50% able to recover.

http://www.rsrm.com/dc-moves-compara...ans-and-bikers

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Who actually controls the paint on the PBLs? WharfDC? SWBID? DDOT?

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I'm no lawyer so don't ride according to anything I state, but it's my understanding that DC is no longer operating under contributory negligence. Comparative negligence now, with those considered to be <50% able to recover.

http://www.rsrm.com/dc-moves-compara...ans-and-bikers
    Ya know, that may very well be true for the District. Negligence was one of those things I learned about years ago and I tend to overdo the protective reaction to it. I'd still worry about a STOP directive, compliant or not, and trying to overcome that in recovery.

Post Thanks / Like

They're in public space, so DDOT regs, but a private group like the BID might augment signage in coordination with DDOT.