Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe route to Lost Rhino from the W&OD

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safe route to Lost Rhino from the W&OD

If I'm leading a group including children from the W&OD to Lost Rhino (21730 Red Rum Dr #142, Ashburn, VA 20147), are we all going to die? Is there a kid-friendly alternate route?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    If I'm leading a group including children from the W&OD to Lost Rhino (21730 Red Rum Dr #142, Ashburn, VA 20147), are we all going to die? Is there a kid-friendly alternate route?
    How slowly do y'all ride with the kids?

I don't ride that fast, and did the usual (?) route, and did not die, but didn't really like it. Here is my strava for it, you can check my speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1153272158

Post Thanks / Like

Probably slowly. It'll be me and my 7 and 9 year olds on their own bikes, my wife, a friend, and her 6 and 9 year olds (but they might be on her longtail, not sure). Safe to say we won't be fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I don't know if I'd do it, honestly. Definitely not the obvious way on Smith's Switch unless the kids are confident & experienced (which seems unlikely). I'd maybe say try using the sidepath on Ashburn Village Road, but that's also the usual VDOT mess of uncontrolled crossings and (from the imagery anyway) disappearing paths once you finally get to cross the street at Farmwell Rd (so I don't know how you'd get from the Farmwell intersection to Lost Rhino). It's possible the google pics are out of date, so you could try scouting to see if someone's put in some more trail. Ah, the car centric wasteland of Loudoun county, where kids should always be driven.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    It's possible the google pics are out of date, so you could try scouting to see if someone's put in some more trail.
    They didn't.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 09-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I don't know if I'd do it, honestly.
    This, I guess. As you can see I was riding about 12MPH, and I found it uncomfortable. And its not a beautiful ride either. And IIRC Lost Rhino is not more kid friendly than other breweries - I don't think it has an outdoor area. I went cause riding there was on my "list" and I WANT to get used to riding in less comfortable places. If your friends are from Ashburn I would just ride to Old Ox, or to one of the Leesburg breweries. If they are from DC, there are (as I suspect you know) lots of breweries in NoVa that are much more accessible from the trails (Caboose, New District, etc)

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Old Ox if that's an option. Caveat is that I don't remember if they have any kid friendly beverages like Lost Rhino's root beer. They do usually have a food truck out front, and you can check a schedule for what the food truck is and whether it would provide the kid-friendly alternative that day.

Post Thanks / Like

So background here - for the fundraising gala at the kids' school, the wife and I auctioned a "bike and brew" tour because people are always jealous of how we spend the winter biking with the kids to breweries for the Freezing Saddles side bet. So we're just trying to plan a kid-friendly ride in the DC-ish area. We had planned Old Ox, and it sounds like we should probably skip Lost Rhino, at least for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

There's Old Ox, Crooked Run and Beltway Brewing all in the Sterling area. Green Lizard has local beers, too. Probably not a good reason to go down to Lost Rhino.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    There's Old Ox, Crooked Run and Beltway Brewing all in the Sterling area. Green Lizard has local beers, too. Probably not a good reason to go down to Lost Rhino.
    Oh, two more: https://www.facebook.com/Twinpanzee and https://www.facebook.com/rocketfrogbrewing both in Sterling. Twinpanzee is open now but not looking all that bikeable. RocketFrog is close to Crooked Run in Sterling.
    Last edited by FFX_Hinterlands; 09-28-2017 at 11:31 AM.