Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wednesdays from Washington (State)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. You’re making a compelling case for me to take a bike vacation there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've officially been in the Seattle area for a month now, and there's still so much more to explore. Here's more from Washington!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_SODO_trail.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	15570
    View of the Stadium light rail station from the SODO ("SOuth of DOwntown") Trail which runs alongside the light rail for about a mile (I have an upcoming video in the works for this short-but-sweet trail) - the station is about a half mile from both Safeco Field (baseball) and CenturyLink Field (football & American football)

Name:	2_fremontBridge.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	15571
    On my way to a Cascade group ride, I encountered this slight traffic delay at the Fremont Bridge - also, no, I was not riding the Limebike in front of me

Name:	3_walrusBike.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	15572
    Walrus on a bike! The muralist is Ryan Henry Ward (goes by Henry), and he's a local artist to the area - my favorite kind of art is street art, whether it's mural and/or graffiti - Henry's website is here: http://www.ryanhenryward.com/

Name:	4_springbrookTrail.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	15573
    Boardwalk on the Springbrook Trail in Renton - I have only ridden it once, but will let y'all know what it's like when wet

Name:	5_ikeaTrip.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	15574
    IKEA is less than a half hour bike ride away, WOOHOO! Back in VA, I lived about a 2 hour ride from either IKEA, so this was a welcome discovery - note in the pic, I overestimated the size of my bike trailer and had a bit of bumping against the rear wheel, but I still got my shelf home

4. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I see a lime green Freezing Saddles band on the top tube of your bike at IKEA. Well done.

6. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    I believe I see a lime green Freezing Saddles band on the top tube of your bike at IKEA. Well done.
    Yeah, that is my commuter bike (and trailer) which I brought with me from VA; I had left all my FS stuff on it. Btw, there are actually 2 FS bands (top tube and front fork) and 3 FS tags (all on bike bag, one facing the other way) in the pic if you use a keen eye

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I want to let you know that I received the book that y'all signed. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm reading a few notes from it each day, and it helps me get through the homesickness.

For this week, I've got photos from a ride I did the other day that just about made me fall in love with Seattle a second time. I went on a ride after picking my Chinook bike up from the bike shop (had to remove and replace a screw attaching the bike rack to the bike that had sheared off) that took me around Elliott Bay at sunset. I've only attached 5 pics here, but the scenery was just majestic.

I rode on the Elliott Bay Trail which goes by a massive container ship loading apparatus (think grain conveyor belts except gigantic) and features multiple sections where the pedestrian path runs completely separately from the bicycle path

Name:	1_elliottBayTrail.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	15589

sunset over Puget Sound from the Elliott Bay Trail (at Elliott Bay Park)

Name:	2_containerShip_pugetSoundSunset.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	15590

viewable seemingly from everywhere around the Seattle area, I caught a glimpse of Mount Rainier in red from (I measured it and added the map to the image) about 60 miles away!

Name:	3_mtRainier_60milesAway.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	15591

riding south of the Seattle Waterfront on my way to West Seattle, this part of the Elliott Bay Trail reminded me of DC's Metropolitan Branch Trail

Name:	4_southElliottBayTrail_alaskanWay.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	15592

I was cyclist #1157 to pass this bike counter (at 7:42 pm) at the West Seattle Bridge, and I saw cyclist #1158 as she was coming the other way on the bridge; it still amazes me to see so many folks passing through sometimes

Name:	5_bikeCounter_westSeattleBridge.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	15593

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    First off, I want to let you know that I received the book that y'all signed. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm reading a few notes from it each day, and it helps me get through the homesickness.

For this week, I've got photos from a ride I did the other day that just about made me fall in love with Seattle a second time. I went on a ride after picking my Chinook bike up from the bike shop (had to remove and replace a screw attaching the bike rack to the bike that had sheared off) that took me around Elliott Bay at sunset. I've only attached 5 pics here, but the scenery was just majestic.

I rode on the Elliott Bay Trail which goes by a massive container ship loading apparatus (think grain conveyor belts except gigantic) and features multiple sections where the pedestrian path runs completely separately from the bicycle path

Name:	1_elliottBayTrail.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	15589

sunset over Puget Sound from the Elliott Bay Trail (at Elliott Bay Park)

Name:	2_containerShip_pugetSoundSunset.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	15590

viewable seemingly from everywhere around the Seattle area, I caught a glimpse of Mount Rainier in red from (I measured it and added the map to the image) about 60 miles away!

Name:	3_mtRainier_60milesAway.jpg 
Views:	53 
ID:	15591

riding south of the Seattle Waterfront on my way to West Seattle, this part of the Elliott Bay Trail reminded me of DC's Metropolitan Branch Trail

Name:	4_southElliottBayTrail_alaskanWay.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	15592

I was cyclist #1157 to pass this bike counter (at 7:42 pm) at the West Seattle Bridge, and I saw cyclist #1158 as she was coming the other way on the bridge; it still amazes me to see so many folks passing through sometimes

Name:	5_bikeCounter_westSeattleBridge.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	15593
    We miss ya!! Looks beautiful there!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny story. I've been to Seattle many many times, mostly years ago on connecting flights in and out of Alaska. I've only seen Ranier once! I couldn't stop staring.

12. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Funny story. I've been to Seattle many many times, mostly years ago on connecting flights in and out of Alaska. I've only seen Ranier once! I couldn't stop staring.
    It's one of those things I've noticed since moving here: I'm still not used to seeing a mountain off in the distance when I'm doing errands or on a bike ride. Nonetheless, it's just as beautiful as when I first saw it years ago

Post Thanks / Like

I've expanded my exploration of the greater Seattle area, including a ride to get even better views of Mount Rainier!

This is how to do a parallel sidepath; this section on Des Moines Memorial Dr features a really smooth ride with almost all of the road crossings being very safe (there's one road crossing near an off-ramp that needs work and another one that has an oddly-placed bollard). This is part of the planned Lake to Sound Trail which will run on a combination of trails and sidepaths between the south end of Lake Washington in Renton, past my apartment complex (I really like this fact), past SeaTac Airport (see my #5 post on this thread), and on the Des Moines Creek Trail to Puget Sound. Also, yes, I will be making a video of this mostly-completed route (it's on my list).

Name:	IMG_7106.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	15630

Riding in a small group (just 3 of us) on the Des Moines Creek Trail, very reminiscent to me of upper parts of Rock Creek Trail (the nice parts before you get to all the congestion)

Name:	IMG_7119.jpg 
Views:	30 
ID:	15631

Stopped to check out (and sample) raspberries along the Green River

Name:	IMG_7174.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	15632

View of Mount Rainier at Lake Tapps (~31 miles away from the summit, half the distance from my zoomed-in sunset pic from last week); to set the olfactory mood for this pic, the entire area around Lake Tapps has a fresh pine scent which is just wonderful (it makes your lungs calm and happy). Also, Lake Tapps sits on a plateau about 400 feet of elevation above the surrounding area, and I found it strange to have to climb up to get to a lake because, you know, water is supposed to flow downhill and not get pooled up high and left behind by ancient glaciers!

Name:	IMG_7181.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	15633

Neat tunnel crossing under a train track I passed through after a super fun downhill from the lake

Name:	IMG_7198.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	15634

15. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts, secstate, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings again from the other Washington!

I checked out the south end of Lake Washington in Renton. This is at the dock of the Renton Rowing Center, and you can see the Seattle skyline just left of center with Mercer Island on the right

Name:	1_southEndLakeWash.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	15659

When I first rode the Cedar River Trail, I was surprised at how many non-bike-friendly signs there were. I was told by a local that a cyclist had hit a pedestrian on that trail, so they decided to install these signs. Bicycles are only allowed on certain parts of the trail with a speed limit of 10 mph, and sometimes they must be walked (there are dismount signs at nearly every underpass). Needless to say, I usually avoid riding on this trail.

Name:	2_cedarRiverTrailSigns.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	15660

As a new member of the Cascade Bicycle Club (largest bicycle org in North America with 17,000+ members), I went to their annual member meeting at their headquarters in the NE part of Seattle just off Lake Washington. It took a lot of will to refrain from taking that really cool cassette/chain flower!

Name:	3_cascadeMembershipMeeting.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	15661

At the Cascade HQ, they had a member lounge with some cool mementos (hmmm, I wonder what could have caused them to cancel their Seattle to Portland ride that year ).

Name:	4_cascadeMemberLounge.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	15662

As part of my dual-citizenship, er, membership with Cascade and WABA, I represented the DC area as well as I could. Also, I found a new favorite ice cream (sorry, Turkey Hill, I've found someone new) in Tillamook (Oregon-based) white chocolate raspberry yum. The ice cream is so rich, one has to eat slower to truly enjoy the flavor (this is not helping with weight loss). I also have tried and liked their chocolate peanut butter, Oregon blueberry patch, and Oregon strawberry flavors.

Name:	5_wabaLoveAndMyLove.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	15663

17. Likes Steve O liked this post