Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesdays from Washington (State)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wednesdays from Washington (State)

It's been a little over a week, and since I already miss everyone, I'm starting this series to help keep in touch. I also want to share bike-related things that I see around my new home that are worth a look. Perhaps some of these ideas could be used or avoided in the DC area, too (some are good, some are bad). I've got a lot so far, but I'll limit it to a handful of things each Wednesday. I hope you enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seattleStuff - 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	15484
    These are metal plates in a road work zone that have been painted bright orange for maximum visibility

Name:	seattleStuff - 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	15485
    This bollard with diamond marking setup is used on the Green River Trail

Name:	seattleStuff - 3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	15486
    Bike-friendly train track crossing on the Interurban Trail that prevents tires from getting caught (the railroad is still active)

Name:	seattleStuff - 4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	15487
    Trail emergency location marker on the Green River Trail - this one says "In Emergency Dial 911. Give Location Number KVLT-21."

Name:	seattleStuff - 5.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	15488
    It's a protected pedestrian lane! A few blocks of this sidewalk along 8th Ave S in South Park (view it here: https://goo.gl/maps/W7Nkkhs43gQ2) were closed as it was in such bad shape, so they put in a protected lane for pedestrians to use.

2. Likes barbielwc, elbows, streetsmarts, Sunyata liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

Name:	seattleStuff - 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	15485
    This bollard with diamond marking setup is used on the Green River Trail
    This is awful. Three bollards!! One overgrown with weeds. Steel. The one on the right invisible in poor lighting. And all unnecessary; could be replaced with a couple of good signs and some surface paint treatment.

4. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh! This is awesome.

Plus, it gives Steve O some new bollards to yell at.

6. Likes jrenaut, Steve O, LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Ooh! This is awesome.

Plus, it gives Steve O some new bollards to yell at.
    Sadly (or happily), there aren't likely to be more pics of bollards, but I'll try to get a good mix of whatever I see each week.

Post Thanks / Like

After doing some more exploration and getting my computer stuff running back at full speed, I've got a couple more pics from the greater Seattle area to share.

Name:	washWednesday - 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	15513
    On the Green River Trail in Kent is this cool bridge-under-a-bridge. It is suspended from the underside of WA-516 which you can see here on Google Maps Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/MBAypeto6xw Also, another thing I should mention: the Green River Trail can be navigated completely on Streetview!

Name:	washWednesday - 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	15514
    Seen on the east side of the West Seattle Bridge is a bike monolith, i.e. counter; this pic was taken on a Sunday morning

Name:	washWednesday - 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	15515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washWednesday - 4.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	15516
    From the bike path running along the north edge (154th St) of the SeaTac Airport, one can see how the airport is high up on a plateau (the little bridge is just for the runway lights). It's certainly a different view of planes taking off or landing than the one I was used to at DCA!

Name:	washWednesday - 5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	15517
    In Renton, I've seen a couple of these bike markings at some intersections that do not have any other bike infrastructure. A cyclist just needs to line up their front wheel on the marking, and it will trip the sensor for the stoplight. They also have these in intersections with bike lanes, but I've seen those before (e.g. SB Commonwealth Ave bike lane at Mt Vernon Ave in Alexandria, VA).

9. Likes barbielwc, KWL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More exploration from the Emerald City and the areas around it!

Name:	IMG_6937.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	15537
    This is the Homer M Hadley Memorial Bridge, the 5th longest floating bridge (5,811 feet) in the world. The parallel eastbound span (Lacey V Murrow Memorial Bridge) just to the left in this pic is the 2nd longest (6,620 feet), and 3.6 miles north/right of this picture is the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge (a.k.a. 520 Bridge), the world's longest floating bridge (7,578 feet) that is currently in construction of a MUP set to be completed this fall (I'm excited to ride it!). Back to this bridge: it's awesome riding across even though it's odd to be riding near the water level in the middle of a lake!

Name:	IMG_6953.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	15538
    This is a wonderful MUP on the side of Logan Ave N in Renton (south side of Lake Washington, just east of me from Tukwila). It runs north from the Cedar River Trail for a couple of blocks and ends by splitting into regular bike lanes (ones that have stoplight sensors) that lead to the Lake Washington Loop (a signed ~50 mile bike route going around Lake Washington on both trails and roads). The intersections are either driveways with good sightlines or have pedestrian signals. I took this pic while on a lovely Cascade (will get to them in a sec) ride around the southern half of Lake Washington, and I have made much use of this MUP especially when heading to Bellevue (east side of Lake Washington).

Name:	IMG_6961.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	15539
    Feeling tired from riding a metric the day prior, I took my bike on the Link light rail to get into the city for a moderate speed Cascade ride. There are specific cars labeled with a bicycle sign onto which people can bring their bikes, and I made use of one of the hooks they have in a specific spot (you hang the front wheel onto the hook, and there's a fixture on the wall to keep the rear wheel from bouncing around. Up to 4 bicycles can be on each car (multiple cars per train), and usually there's room to hang 2 of them to save space. Also, there's NO RUSH HOUR BAN on bikes!

Name:	IMG_6962.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	15540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6993.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	15541
    When moving out here, I asked y'all what organizations would be great for getting into the cycling community, and most recommended Cascade Bicycle Club. In ways, it runs like a mixture of Potomac Pedalers and WABA, and there are many rides of different speeds/skill levels that one can choose from on any given day (especially the weekends). After doing about 5 of their rides and getting involved in other things related to bicycle advocacy, I decided to become a member. Now, I am a member both of Cascade and WABA! (Note: I am wearing my Virginia jersey)

11. Likes Judd, barbielwc, elbows liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for sharing. I liked the bridge-under-a-bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Now, I am a member both of Cascade and WABA! (Note: I am wearing my Virginia jersey)
    It's the opening of the East Coast / West Coast Bike Wars.

14. Likes jrenaut, Emm liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bike on rail is pretty nice. How does it compare to Metro? Bike hangers on metro would be great, but the cars are so crammed that I don't see it being feasible during rush unless you wanted to bop people in the face with a wheel.

I googled the trains and they look similar to the light rail system that St. Louis has. They look swanky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The bike on rail is pretty nice. How does it compare to Metro? Bike hangers on metro would be great, but the cars are so crammed that I don't see it being feasible during rush unless you wanted to bop people in the face with a wheel.

I googled the trains and they look similar to the light rail system that St. Louis has. They look swanky.
    The Link light rail is pretty awesome, and in my experience, it works well with the bus system. In certain parts of downtown Seattle, buses run through the same tunnels as the light rail trains and stop at the same station platforms as part of their routes.

As far as DC's Metro is concerned, they need longer trains and an attitude adjustment. 8 car and 6 car isn't working now, and they need 10 and 12 car trains. If they could manage passengers better, they could easily IMO add bike-friendly cars to front & rear of each train. Right now, there's no will for it, so I will not hold my breath.

The Link light rail system is actually set to expand in a massive way over the next 2 decades (first expansion to University of Washington was completed in 2016) that will add multiple lines and connections between the major cities in the area (Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, & Everett). Here are pics of the current map and future expansion map:

Name:	lightRail_current.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	15542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightRail_expansion.jpg 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	15543

FYI: I live less than a mile from the Tukwila/International Blvd station (south side of Lake Washington, and the elevated rail itself passes close enough to my apartment complex that I can actually see my balcony from the train. It's kinda cool!

17. Likes Judd liked this post