Thread: Crash on W&OD May 9, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crash on W&OD May 9, 2017

This is a delayed report because the friend involved just mentioned it when he told me about the shoulder operation he had last week (oddly, I had lunch with him the day before this occurred). When he described it, I thought that I had read about it here, but that was another similar crash (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...478#post145478) .
    I am only providing a few details because (1) I only know some and (2) there may still be legal actions pending. I am mostly posting this as a record of crashes at that intersection.

This occurred in the Shirlington area on the W&OD between George Mason and Walter Reed on the unnamed road across from the Barcroft Community Center (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8508...!3m1!1e3?hl=en). This was during a morning commute heading towards the river, some time before 7am, but it was light out. My friend and another cyclist were riding with each other as they approached the intersection. The walk signal was on, no one on that unnamed road. There was a car on Four Mile Run Drive in the right lane, no turn signal, apparently at a speed that makes cyclists believe no turns will occur. As they entered the intersection, the car turned. Both cyclists tried to avoid hitting the car. The other cyclist missed the car (it continued past the crossing, but stopped). My friend does not believe he hit the car, but he fell off and damaged his shoulder in his avoidance attempt. He was not as coherent as he probably should have been (shock?) and did not get police there, but the driver stopped and provided information. The other cyclist also recorded information and kept in contact with my friend, which was good because he later needed the information. He felt feel well enough to continue to work. He later realized that he wasn't so good and the bicycle was not in as good shape as when he started that morning, but he could ride it at least the remaining few miles to the office. As mentioned above, he just had shoulder surgery to fix the injury.

Anyway, just recording the incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that your friend was injured.

In the event of a driver doing something that causes a crash:
    1. Always call 911. The adrenaline rush from being hit can cover up injuries and impact judgment. If 911 asks if you are injured, tell them that you are unsure and that they should dispatch a paramedic.
    2. Insist that the driver be ticketed even if you don't think that you're hurt. This can greatly impact your ability to cover damages should you find out the next day you are injured or something is broken on your bike.

3. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post

1. Always call 911. The adrenaline rush from being hit can cover up injuries and impact judgment. If 911 asks if you are injured, tell them that you are unsure and that they should dispatch a paramedic.
    2. Insist that the driver be ticketed even if you don't think that you're hurt. This can greatly impact your ability to cover damages should you find out the next day you are injured or something is broken on your bike.
    Thank you - both for the kind words and the information for others to learn.

He knows what he needs to do now - from both the experience and my re-iterating the need. (I learned that from a car accident (I was in my car) many years ago - a lawyer was driving the other car who was completely at fault did everything to get nave me away from the location and make it not seem like her fault. Luckily there were willing, honest witnesses.)

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post

This is what Bruce Deming always advocates. Unfortunately the police may or may not (usually the latter) not ticket the driver.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DrP, the crash you describe is very, very, very similar to a crash at that same site that I happened to catch on my bike camera in September 2016. Driver turning right without yielding right-of-way to crosswalk users led to a cyclist being injured with another cyclist witnessing the crash. I came up on it just after, but my camera did actually get it from far away.

Long story short, Bruce Deming was on the case, and folks on this forum were able to hook me up with him so that I could send him the video footage. I do not know the end result, but Bruce told me that the footage was very useful in the case. Eyewitness statements and video footage go a long way.

I hope your friend isn't too seriously injured, but rest assured that there are avenues to getting justice.

8. Likes KLizotte, Steve O liked this post