Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best value priced shop/mechanic for tune up on Trek FX 7.4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best value priced shop/mechanic for tune up on Trek FX 7.4

Good morning fellow riders,

I have a Trek FX 7.4 that was bought new in 2015. I use it weekly to commute 5 miles roundtrip to the metro station, where its locked up in a bike locker during the day. The first year or two of ownership was bliss.. but now in my 3rd year the bike just feels slower, heavier and bulky. I have no doubt many of these issues can be fixed with a tuneup by a good bike shop or mechanic.. but I'm also hoping not to pay $100 or more for this service. Ideally I'd like someone to go over the bike and adjust the drivetrain and brakes, a quick cleanup and let me know if anything has been broken or needs to be replaced. Rather than fool around for hours on youtube guessing how to do this myself.. I'd like to pay a professional.

Just hoping to keep the price reasonable!

Post Thanks / Like

A tune up at Bikenetic will cost you $65 or $95 bucks depending on what the bike needs. They're a biker's bike shop kind of place and they won't try to sell you any service or parts that you don't need.

Post Thanks / Like

A good shop will give you a free estimate after fully inspecting the bike -- sometimes a bike doesn't really need a full tuneup, but instead needs a specific new part, like a new bottom bracket. Note also that tuneup prices reflect labor time to adjust brakes, shifting, truing wheels etc., but don't usually reflect cost of new parts needed (cable housings, chain or cassette etc.) Agree with Judd that shops that serve lots of commuters often best for repair of hard-working bikes. -Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
    Good morning fellow riders,

I have a Trek FX 7.4 that was bought new in 2015. I use it weekly to commute 5 miles roundtrip to the metro station, where its locked up in a bike locker during the day. The first year or two of ownership was bliss.. but now in my 3rd year the bike just feels slower, heavier and bulky. I have no doubt many of these issues can be fixed with a tuneup by a good bike shop or mechanic.. but I'm also hoping not to pay $100 or more for this service. Ideally I'd like someone to go over the bike and adjust the drivetrain and brakes, a quick cleanup and let me know if anything has been broken or needs to be replaced. Rather than fool around for hours on youtube guessing how to do this myself.. I'd like to pay a professional.

Just hoping to keep the price reasonable!
    Did you have a particular location/part of the metro area in mind? That pricing is pretty typical from what I've seen at area shops (including the great folks at Bikenetic Judd mentioned), so a better question might be "where's a good shop to get service close to _____?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Did you have a particular location/part of the metro area in mind? That pricing is pretty typical from what I've seen at area shops (including the great folks at Bikenetic Judd mentioned), so a better question might be "where's a good shop to get service close to _____?"
    I live in Bowie, MD.. but work in Washington, DC. So Im in DC almost everyday of the week. I dont mind traveling a little bit to get the best service for the money. More than anything I just a shop to go over the bike, get it running like new again and not try to upsell me on bunch of unnecessary stuff. The bike was fine as is on day 1.. and should be fine as is on day 900.. with the proper TLC and service. I'm pretty much open to any shop in DC or off the 495 beltway.

I actually bought the bike from Spokes in Alexandria, VA. But feel weary returning there for service as their quoted price for service is $120!!!!! But I believe the services they list.. are the ones that my bike will need after 3 years of ownership and weekly rides.

http://spokesetc.com/about/service-r...ter-pg1155.htm

Deluxe Tune-Up Package - $120*
    *Parts are additional

Recommended in your owner's manual, this package covers the periodic maintenance necessary to keep your bike in excellent riding condition based on normal usage. This package includes adjustments to all of the major systems, including:

Shifting system - derailleur and cable's adjusted and lubed
    Braking system - brake, brake pads and cable's adjusted and lubed
    Wheel system - hub adjustments, true and tension spokes
    Tires - inspect for wear, properly adjust air pressure
    Steering system - headset adjustment
    Bottom Bracket - adjustment
    Chain - inspected, wiped down and lubed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
    I live in Bowie, MD.. but work in Washington, DC. So Im in DC almost everyday of the week. I dont mind traveling a little bit to get the best service for the money. More than anything I just a shop to go over the bike, get it running like new again and not try to upsell me on bunch of unnecessary stuff. The bike was fine as is on day 1.. and should be fine as is on day 900.. with the proper TLC and service. I'm pretty much open to any shop in DC or off the 495 beltway.
    As Jeff mentioned - I think any good shop would start off with a free estimate of what is/isn't needed to determine if the bundled package is right for you or if you just need a few things from the a la carte menu. Honestly - I think it's more important to find a place you're comfortable with and is relatively convenient for you to get to as needed rather than saving a few bucks by travelling around the metro area, but that's just me.

Closer to home for you - I've heard good things about the Family Bike Shop in Crofton - they may be worth checking out.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're in Bowie, I'd recommend Proteus in College Park which has a fantastic reputation. It's the bike shop that it seems most of my Maryland friends go to. According to their website, a basic tune up is $90. Like Jeff said, a good shop will throw your bike into the stand and look it over for free and tell you that you don't need a full tune up if something else will take care of the issue.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    If you're in Bowie, I'd recommend Proteus in College Park which has a fantastic reputation. It's the bike shop that it seems most of my Maryland friends go to. According to their website, a basic tune up is $90. Like Jeff said, a good shop will throw your bike into the stand and look it over for free and tell you that you don't need a full tune up if something else will take care of the issue.
    I would just caveat that by adding you probably shouldn't just say "my bike needs a tuneup"...I think even good shops will just give you what you ask for in that situation. If you can point to a certain issue, then also say "and please also check out xyz" you may get better results.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using that puppy five days a week, you need to show it some love. Seriously, don't get fixated on a price point, since you're amortizing it pretty quickly. Fixate on doing what needs to be done so that you'll be happy riding it and it won't break on you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Thanks that one is much closer. Like about 10min from my house!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I would just caveat that by adding you probably shouldn't just say "my bike needs a tuneup"...I think even good shops will just give you what you ask for in that situation. If you can point to a certain issue, then also say "and please also check out xyz" you may get better results.
    Just went over the bike myself and the right pad from the rear linear brake is sticking to the rim. That explains why the bike feels sluggish. Im embarrassed to even think how long that pad had been dragging me down. I fiddled around with it for 30mins or so.. but still can't figure it out. Oh well I'd like the both f/r brakes looked over.. and I've noticed when shifting it now a delay and hops up one, even two gears. Definitely needs some TLC!