Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improvements to Banneker Park area of DC

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's too bad they don't get rid of the switchback entirely. It's actually not even needed.

The distance from the red arrow to the green arrow is longer than the riding distance from the red arrow to the blue arrow. If you've ridden there you have probably noted that the point at the blue arrow is slightly lower than the green. So a straight ramp from the red arrow to the green arrow would actually have a lesser slope than the switchback and there would just be a single <90-degree turn to get from the bridge to the circle. The switchback is, in fact, unnecessary.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switchback.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	15509

2. Likes MrTinDC, Emm, dasgeh, bentbike33 liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Monday update:

4. Likes Emm, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a fellow cyclist said it best last night, "They find a new way to screw up Maine every day."

From my perspective, it would have been best to put the curb ramps in at the circle before they started all of this. Can't see when the ramps are coming but at least they are coming sometime.

I would like to see a connection between Case and G St. I guess it isn't in the cards, but I do see a lot of cyclists going from Case to G St NW. Maybe Maine will be so awesome I'll change my route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I think a fellow cyclist said it best last night, "They find a new way to screw up Maine every day."

From my perspective, it would have been best to put the curb ramps in at the circle before they started all of this. Can't see when the ramps are coming but at least they are coming sometime.

I would like to see a connection between Case and G St. I guess it isn't in the cards, but I do see a lot of cyclists going from Case to G St NW. Maybe Maine will be so awesome I'll change my route.
    My understanding is that DDOT is planning to put a contraflow bike lane on G to complement the Banneker project, so that will be helpful to those riding westbound and seeking to avoid Maine.

I, for one, am not at all excited for the PBL on Maine and believe it to be a massive waste of resources, as it basically is just the sidewalk in front of a massive multi-use complex. It's like putting a PBL between the road and the arrivals drop-off area at an airport or something. My prediction is that it will have to many people standing around in it or running across it to grab their ubers or whatever to be legitimately useful for avoiding riding on Maine.

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    My understanding is that DDOT is planning to put a contraflow bike lane on G to complement the Banneker project, so that will be helpful to those riding westbound and seeking to avoid Maine.

I, for one, am not at all excited for the PBL on Maine and believe it to be a massive waste of resources, as it basically is just the sidewalk in front of a massive multi-use complex. It's like putting a PBL between the road and the arrivals drop-off area at an airport or something. My prediction is that it will have to many people standing around in it or running across it to grab their ubers or whatever to be legitimately useful for avoiding riding on Maine.
    One thing that will make it different is that the street on the water side of the project will be open to cars (it will technically be a "woonerf" so that will be an alternative drop off area. Not sure if hurried uber drivers will want to deal with the delays of driving through a woonerf though.

Note the PBL will almost certainly be more useful for riders if a LOT of riders use it. I am not that familiar with the more heavily used PBLs in DC - the ones I ride most often, on Eads, are so devoid of riders at most times, its hard to blame the peds who use it. There are enough people who ride on Maine now (including on the north side sidewalk) that I suspect we should at least do better than that, even if we don't get riders who now use the Case bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    One thing that will make it different is that the street on the water side of the project will be open to cars (it will technically be a "woonerf" so that will be an alternative drop off area. Not sure if hurried uber drivers will want to deal with the delays of driving through a woonerf though.

Note the PBL will almost certainly be more useful for riders if a LOT of riders use it. I am not that familiar with the more heavily used PBLs in DC - the ones I ride most often, on Eads, are so devoid of riders at most times, its hard to blame the peds who use it. There are enough people who ride on Maine now (including on the north side sidewalk) that I suspect we should at least do better than that, even if we don't get riders who now use the Case bridge.
    I dunno if Eads is the best comparison, as there's relatively little ground level retail and not much nightlife...The Wharf is getting a legit music/entertainment venue, thousands of apartments, and like a dozen bars/restaurants in the span of a couple blocks, all within a few feet of the PBL.

I've ridden enough similar bike lanes in crowded spots in other cities, and generally the "serious" cyclists just avoid those areas. Imagine if they extended the sidewalk in front of the Georgetown mall by five feet and painted some bikes on it...that's basically what the Maine PBL is, only G-town doesn't have the additional street-facing residential on top of the retail.
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 09-27-2017 at 12:39 PM.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno if Eads is the best comparison, as there's relatively little ground level retail and not much nightlife...

I've ridden enough similar bike lanes in crowded spots in other cities, and generally the "serious" cyclists just avoid those areas. Imagine if they extended the sidewalk in front of the Georgetown mall by five feet and painted some bikes on it...that's basically what the Maine PBL is.
    I doubt the serious cyclists would ride the tree root riddled sidewalk on the northside of Maine, with all its pedestrians. Yet not only have I ridden it (proving my unseriousness) but when I do I often see other riders on it (in fact the lack of room for safe two way riding is an additional disadvantage of it)

BTW if the 10 ft wide new sidewalks at the Wharf are as crowded as the narrow sidewalks on M Street in GTown, then the Wharf is going to be a huge win.

But we shall see.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 09-27-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno if Eads is the best comparison, as there's relatively little ground level retail and not much nightlife...

I've ridden enough similar bike lanes in crowded spots in other cities, and generally the "serious" cyclists just avoid those areas. Imagine if they extended the sidewalk in front of the Georgetown mall by five feet and painted some bikes on it...that's basically what the Maine PBL is.
    This. I'll give it a try, but I don't care for the design of most PBLs. I am almost always turning left on 7th to get to I St, when I go that way, so driving my bike down Maine will make more sense anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll definitely go back to Maine Ave from the Case Bridge as soon as there are 2 lanes of traffic going eastbound again instead of the current one debris-laden half-lane/half-construction site for eastbound traffic (whether or not there is a usable PBL). I hate the Case Bridge switchback and find it incredible that in the 25+ years since passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act, there has been no occasion before this to add curb-cuts anywhere in Banneker Park.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the serious cyclists would ride the tree root riddled sidewalk on the northside of Maine, with all its pedestrians. Yet not only have I ridden it (proving my unseriousness) but when I do I often see other riders on it (in fact the lack of room for safe two way riding is an additional disadvantage of it)
    I ride this route 4 days a week and have never taken the sidewalk. I just ride on Maine, which is what I see many other cyclists (by "serious" I basically mean "not tourists") doing every day. Does it suck? Eh, kinda. Would I rather deal with it and get it over with quickly than ride 5mph so I can dodge groups of peds taking selfies while standing in the PBL? Most definitely.