Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Improvements to Banneker Park area of DC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Improvements to Banneker Park area of DC

Now that we are past 3 years of construction on the Wharf, I'm wondering, why can't there be some simple fixes to Benjamin Banneker to make it easier for cyclists who are avoiding the mayhem of Maine? Here is some of the history of this discussion.

1) Curb ramps would be very helpful.

2) A connection from Banneker to 9th St SW would help cyclists who are taking Case Bridge to avoid Maine. Cyclists can wiggle their way through 9th but it is awkward.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Now that we are past 3 years of construction on the Wharf, I'm wondering, why can't there be some simple fixes to Benjamin Banneker to make it easier for cyclists who are avoiding the mayhem of Maine? Here is some of the history of this discussion.

2) A connection from Banneker to 9th St SW would help cyclists who are taking Case Bridge to avoid Maine. Cyclists can wiggle their way through 9th but it is awkward.
    They are working on these exact fixes literally as we speak.

This is from last week:

Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 09-20-2017 at 10:16 AM.

3. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some additional info from Greater Greater Washington is below. I saw something more recent, but I can't seem to find it.

https://ggwash.org/view/41147/this-p...est-waterfront

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    They are working on these exact fixes literally as we speak.

This is from last week:

When I rode by the other day, that curb cut was done (unless I am having a senior moment) making it easier for folks coming from the WB right lane on Maine to get onto the narrow substandard sidewalk leading to the crosswalk across Maine (which leads to sidewalk hell past the fishmarket construction). The path up the hill to Banneker park was still blocked, but I guess will re-open soon.

The other Banneker improvements would be great, but not clear on the schedule.

I continue to fail to look closely at the maybe under construction cycle track on the Wharf side of Maine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I continue to fail to look closely at the maybe under construction cycle track on the Wharf side of Maine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DKCYu-YVoAA2yaJ.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	15491
    https://twitter.com/bikepedantic/sta...95081599148032

Post Thanks / Like

Work continues apace on the sidewalks on the NW corner of 9th/Maine, but there was too much traffic and too many workers around to stop and take a photo. I'll see how it looks tonight when it's clear of people.

Post Thanks / Like

Today from the top:

9. Likes Starduster, Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    It's unclear: are they putting in the obviously needed curb cut at the top of the hill to get to the Case Bridge. Riding a bakfiets, curb-hopping is impossible, and you have to get on the side walk about a mile away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It's unclear: are they putting in the obviously needed curb cut at the top of the hill to get to the Case Bridge. Riding a bakfiets, curb-hopping is impossible, and you have to get on the side walk about a mile away.
    It's *possible* that the existing cut-less curb that dumps directly from the Case Bridge path to the circle will stay, but they will be adding ADA-compliant ramps across the median at the top of the circle and where the new stairway meets the path. But since they are putting in a bike line around the circle, I think they will put a cut in at the existing path entrance.

12. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Unless something has changed since the EA, YES they are putting a curb ramp right at the end of the case bridge sidewalk.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chris_s; 09-25-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: make pic bigger

14. Likes dasgeh, Emm, Judd liked this post