Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 205

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wonder how they'll fare WRT vandalism. They don't look as sturdy as CaBi bikes. I don't know if that's a solar panel inside the basket, but whatever it is, it looks easily breakable.

    I saw that Baltimore's bike share program was temporarily shutting down because of vandalism and theft.

    ETA that the Post has an article on these:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.8c75b4a982af

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd say -- the more bicycles, the better. The more people use bikes, the more political pressure there will be to improve the safety of our infrastructure.

  3. Likes Nadine, vern, Steve O, Dewey, dasgeh liked this post
  4. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guus View Post
    I'd say -- the more bicycles, the better. The more people use bikes, the more political pressure there will be to improve the safety of our infrastructure.
    May end up being a good thing, but could also end up hurting CaBi, thereby being a negative in the long term. I'd rather see CaBi expanded to areas that need it. But we shall see.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I don't know if that's a solar panel inside the basket, but whatever it is, it looks easily breakable.
    That is a solar panel inside the basket. I took a picture but didn't post it yet. My first thought was that it did look flimsy, but I didn't give it a poke. My second thought was wondering how much light they need each day to make the bike continue to operate, since this one was parked under an awning.

    The bike didn't appear as robust as a CaBi or as heavy. Since it was new all the parts were nice and clean, but I did think about how maintenance will be handled.

  6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
  7. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    That is a solar panel inside the basket. I took a picture but didn't post it yet. My first thought was that it did look flimsy, but I didn't give it a poke. My second thought was wondering how much light they need each day to make the bike continue to operate, since this one was parked under an awning.

    The bike didn't appear as robust as a CaBi or as heavy. Since it was new all the parts were nice and clean, but I did think about how maintenance will be handled.
    I saw on your Strava feed that the solar panel had a sticker saying the maximum load was 5 kg. That's like telling people how they can break it, in case they couldn't figure it out themselves.

  8. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  9. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I saw on your Strava feed that the solar panel had a sticker saying the maximum load was 5 kg. That's like telling people how they can break it, in case they couldn't figure it out themselves.
    11 pounds is not a lot. I'd assume that the actual weight capacity is more though, just like the expiration date on food isn't really when it becomes unsafe to eat.

  10. Likes Nadine liked this post
  11. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South Alexandria
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    11 pounds is not a lot. I'd assume that the actual weight capacity is more though, just like the expiration date on food isn't really when it becomes unsafe to eat.
    That seems like a really low weight capacity for a basket. A gallon of milk is roughly 4 kg, so those baskets are not going to be great for running errands. Even a box of kitty litter, or just some milk and a few cans of soup could quickly bring you over the limit.

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is a bit like Car2Go, where CaBi is Zipcar.

    If they can avoid theft and other hijinks, it could work great.

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I saw that Baltimore's bike share program was temporarily shutting down because of vandalism and theft.
    Also Manchester, England for the same reasons, the rascally tykes.

    Here's a WTOP article on Mobike launching in Washington, DC, and another article from the Post states there are 200 of these bikes in DC.
    Last edited by Dewey; 09-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South Alexandria
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just hope DC can compete with Seattle for the title of "City with the most creatively parked dockless bike share bikes"...

  15. Likes Nadine, Starduster, vern, bobco85, jrenaut and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE drevil ELITED this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •