Likes Likes:  286
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  14
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how they'll fare WRT vandalism. They don't look as sturdy as CaBi bikes. I don't know if that's a solar panel inside the basket, but whatever it is, it looks easily breakable.

I saw that Baltimore's bike share program was temporarily shutting down because of vandalism and theft.

ETA that the Post has an article on these:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.8c75b4a982af

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say -- the more bicycles, the better. The more people use bikes, the more political pressure there will be to improve the safety of our infrastructure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guus View Post
    I'd say -- the more bicycles, the better. The more people use bikes, the more political pressure there will be to improve the safety of our infrastructure.
    May end up being a good thing, but could also end up hurting CaBi, thereby being a negative in the long term. I'd rather see CaBi expanded to areas that need it. But we shall see.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I don't know if that's a solar panel inside the basket, but whatever it is, it looks easily breakable.
    That is a solar panel inside the basket. I took a picture but didn't post it yet. My first thought was that it did look flimsy, but I didn't give it a poke. My second thought was wondering how much light they need each day to make the bike continue to operate, since this one was parked under an awning.

The bike didn't appear as robust as a CaBi or as heavy. Since it was new all the parts were nice and clean, but I did think about how maintenance will be handled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    That is a solar panel inside the basket. I took a picture but didn't post it yet. My first thought was that it did look flimsy, but I didn't give it a poke. My second thought was wondering how much light they need each day to make the bike continue to operate, since this one was parked under an awning.

The bike didn't appear as robust as a CaBi or as heavy. Since it was new all the parts were nice and clean, but I did think about how maintenance will be handled.
    I saw on your Strava feed that the solar panel had a sticker saying the maximum load was 5 kg. That's like telling people how they can break it, in case they couldn't figure it out themselves.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw on your Strava feed that the solar panel had a sticker saying the maximum load was 5 kg. That's like telling people how they can break it, in case they couldn't figure it out themselves.
    11 pounds is not a lot. I'd assume that the actual weight capacity is more though, just like the expiration date on food isn't really when it becomes unsafe to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    11 pounds is not a lot. I'd assume that the actual weight capacity is more though, just like the expiration date on food isn't really when it becomes unsafe to eat.
    That seems like a really low weight capacity for a basket. A gallon of milk is roughly 4 kg, so those baskets are not going to be great for running errands. Even a box of kitty litter, or just some milk and a few cans of soup could quickly bring you over the limit.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a bit like Car2Go, where CaBi is Zipcar.

If they can avoid theft and other hijinks, it could work great.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that Baltimore's bike share program was temporarily shutting down because of vandalism and theft.
    Also Manchester, England for the same reasons, the rascally tykes.

Here's a WTOP article on Mobike launching in Washington, DC, and another article from the Post states there are 200 of these bikes in DC.
    Last edited by Dewey; 09-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope DC can compete with Seattle for the title of "City with the most creatively parked dockless bike share bikes"...

11. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post