Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Assuming I’m not going to sign up and install apps for, like, four separate systems, which should I pick and why?
    Well, we're now up to five systems: Limebike, Jump, Mobike, Ofo, and Spin. My own recommendation would be to install all of them. You can also install the Transit app, which will show you all the bikes from all the companies, so you don't have to open up five different apps to figure out what bike is closest to you.

However, if you don't want to install all those apps, I'd install Transit, and then check it a few times a day to see what bikes tend to hang around wherever you'd normally want to pick up a bike. Around my office, for example, there are always Spin bikes. There are frequently Limebikes. Mobikes and Ofo are a lot less prevalent, and Jump bikes are never around. The differences among the systems are a lot less critical than the availability of a bike when you want one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    Some posts seem to imply that dockless bikeshare is a negative because some people may park their bikes "inappropriately" or even - *gasp!* - out of their operational boundaries. I say so what? The important thing here IMO is there are more opportunities for people to ride bikes who otherwise might not. Which is a GOOD thing!
    My chief worry is that if bikes are parked inappropriately (e.g., blocking traffic in the middle of busy downtown sidewalks), people will develop (even more) negative views of cyclists, which will have an impact on all of us.

That is not to say that my view of dockless bikeshare is entirely negative. The vast majority of them seem to get parked appropriately. And I personally have found them much more useful than CaBi, because I don't have to worry about finding a dock near my destination. Once I've got a bike, I can just ride it exactly where I'm going.

However, I have reported inappropriately parked bikes to Spin, Mobike, and Limebike. And in each instance, the reported bikes don't get moved for days.

3. Likes Judd liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Well, we're now up to five systems: Limebike, Jump, Mobike, Ofo, and Spin. My own recommendation would be to install all of them. You can also install the Transit app, which will show you all the bikes from all the companies, so you don't have to open up five different apps to figure out what bike is closest to you.

However, if you don't want to install all those apps, I'd install Transit, and then check it a few times a day to see what bikes tend to hang around wherever you'd normally want to pick up a bike. Around my office, for example, there are always Spin bikes. There are frequently Limebikes. Mobikes and Ofo are a lot less prevalent, and Jump bikes are never around. The differences among the systems are a lot less critical than the availability of a bike when you want one.
    I also have Strava, and now RidewithGPS. And I have Spotcycle, for CaBi and the app for the Albany NY bikeshare system. I had the Baltimore app, deleted it when their system closed, but now their system is opening again, so maybe I should DL that again? And then there is Amazon, which I basically only use for bike stuff. My smartphone is now even more dominated by bikes than my brain is.

5. Likes Steve O, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    My smartphone is now even more dominated by bikes than my brain is.
    What, there is something else in your life besides bikes?

7. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    So. Its been a few weeks now. Have people who have been using or following the dockless systems developed any loyalties, attachments, or aversions to particular systems yet? This could be due to the quality or comfort of the bikes, or due to good or bad corporate behavior.

Itd be nice to have a backup to CaBi, which I enjoy riding but often has no bikes available in Foggy Bottom by the time I want to get out of here in the evenings. Also, Im 510, with legs perhaps on the long side for that height, and I hear that fit is an issue.

Apart from Jump, they still all seem interchangeable to me. I know Judd thinks the Limebike people are unresponsive. Assuming Im not going to sign up and install apps for, like, four separate systems, which should I pick and why?
    Mobike has been my favorite lately, as they seem to possibly have the most number of available bikes. That stationary basket on the mobikes still trips me out.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a dude pushing a ofo bike up Randolph Rd. In Colesvulle. Something tells me he was out of the service area 😆

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The unholy amalgam

Dear Lord, here come the dockless ebikes: Jump is upping their inventory
    Last edited by musclys; 11-07-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A rep from LimeBikes was at Arlington's BAC last night. He thinks the region could support 30 to 35,000 bikeshare bikes. As a point of comparison, Capital Bikeshare currently has 4,500. He wants you to not have to use the app to find a bike because you'll walk out your door, look to the left, look to the right and see at least two bikes in plain sight. **boggle**

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    A rep from LimeBikes was at Arlington's BAC last night. He thinks the region could support 30 to 35,000 bikeshare bikes. As a point of comparison, Capital Bikeshare currently has 4,500. He wants you to not have to use the app to find a bike because you'll walk out your door, look to the left, look to the right and see at least two bikes in plain sight. **boggle**
    A sales rep making things up--there's something you don't see every day!

14. Likes scoot, Emm, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still want to know where this stash of mobikes at Union station is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171107-104647.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	15692