Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 148

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

  1. #101
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I saw a picture last night on Twitter indicating that Jump was about to put several more bikes out on the street. I talked to Rudi last Friday and I think he said that they started with 20.



    Social Bicycles also is the underlying platform for Jump bikes. I found using the membership number and pin on the keypad on the bike to be an easy process. For Jump Bikes, you can lock up the bike anywhere in the bounds of the District, but they have established "hubs" in certain areas, often times near Metro stations. If you lock up the bike in one of the hubs you receive a discount on your ride ($1 IIRC). Interesting that it's a reward model in DC and a penalty model in Albany.
    Monopoly here? Done in conjunction with the local transit authority?

    Also you can take it to parts of Albany outside the hub zone, for a 25 dollar charge.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 10-20-2017 at 05:56 PM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Social Bicycles also is the underlying platform for Jump bikes. I found using the membership number and pin on the keypad on the bike to be an easy process. For Jump Bikes, you can lock up the bike anywhere in the bounds of the District, but they have established "hubs" in certain areas, often times near Metro stations. If you lock up the bike in one of the hubs you receive a discount on your ride ($1 IIRC). Interesting that it's a reward model in DC and a penalty model in Albany.
    That is interesting. It looks like Albany's setup is a bit of a hybrid; from their video, they have station locations with kiosks for folks to sign up separate from the website or mobile apps, with regular bike racks for the bikes to lock to. They do have a reward model for bringing an out of hub bike back to a hub ($1), and the annual subscription provides 60 minutes a day for free (compared to CaBi's unlimited number of 30 minute rides).

    For Jump!: right now, it looks like there is one hub per ward, but all of them are relatively close together. From a maintenance/balancing standpoint, especially with the e-bikes, it makes sense to try to have semi-centralized areas where you hope more bikes end up; makes it easier for them to recharge/etc. so reduces costs. It's sort of like car2go's model of incentivizing filling the gas tank in exchange for a time credit.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Living in the world
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A few of the responses on this thread make me scratch my head. For a group ostensibly dedicated to encouraging bicycle use, some of us sure do seem to get sniffy about alternative methods of getting people on bikes.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 10-22-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: I am the Walrus

  4. Likes Steve O liked this post
  5. #104
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    A few of the responses on this thread make me scratch my head. For a group ostensibly dedicated to encouraging bicycle use, some of us sure do seem to get sniffy about alternative methods of getting people on bikes.
    I think the issue is that we have a really good (though not perfect) docked bikeshare system already, and there's a fear that dockless could come around for long enough to kill the docked system, but then go belly up because of (insert reason here), leaving us with no bikeshare.

    We're going to talk about this at the next BAC meeting - Monday, November 6, 7pm 2100 Clarendon Blvd - and (spoiler alert) I'm going to ask whether there's any room to ask if CaBi can introduce some of the best parts of the dockless systems -- e.g. a framelock that allows someone to park anywhere (possibly for an added fee); eassist.

  6. Likes streetsmarts, LhasaCM, secstate liked this post
  7. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Calverton, MD
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I think the issue is that we have a really good (though not perfect) docked bikeshare system already, and there's a fear that dockless could come around for long enough to kill the docked system, but then go belly up because of (insert reason here), leaving us with no bikeshare.

    We're going to talk about this at the next BAC meeting - Monday, November 6, 7pm 2100 Clarendon Blvd - and (spoiler alert) I'm going to ask whether there's any room to ask if CaBi can introduce some of the best parts of the dockless systems -- e.g. a framelock that allows someone to park anywhere (possibly for an added fee); eassist.
    I am a fairly new CaBi user, and in my short 6 weeks of use, I consider it to be extremely unreliable. So much that I am probably just going to lock my junk bike up down here and use that.

    Turning CaBi into a dockless version would require a decent amount of resources. You need not just a locking mechanism, but also a slew of electronics to track the bike and interact with the lock, and then you are going to need a bunch of added functionality on the backend/app/server to support the dockless feature.

  8. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arlington (Columbia Heights)
    Posts
    323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I haven't read through the dockpocalypse discussion and I haven't used them yet, but I'm not sure I would agree that we have a "really good" bikeshare system. I've been a member for 5 years or so and while I think the bikes are decent (though seat issues vex me), the customer service is good, and the technology is helpful, I find that close to 40% of my desired rides are thwarted by stations being full or empty. Three years ago, it was 20%. Below is a picture of what the stations look like right now in the middle of the day. If you are in Tysons, Reston or a number of other places, you are ok for getting or dropping a bike. However, in almost all of DC (except for east of the river) and most of the orange line in Arlington, stations are either full or empty. I have tried to share this with them and ask them to consider better rebalancing methods or incentives, but it just gets worse. I agree that dockless could threaten cabi but I think cabi needs to be better.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	15624

  9. Likes rcannon100, hozn, secstate liked this post
  10. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    A few of the responses on this thread make me scratch my head.
    Which ones?
    Last edited by Judd; 10-23-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I am the egg man.

  11. #108
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skins_brew View Post
    I am a fairly new CaBi user, and in my short 6 weeks of use, I consider it to be extremely unreliable. So much that I am probably just going to lock my junk bike up down here and use that.

    Turning CaBi into a dockless version would require a decent amount of resources. You need not just a locking mechanism, but also a slew of electronics to track the bike and interact with the lock, and then you are going to need a bunch of added functionality on the backend/app/server to support the dockless feature.
    I have, I think, always found a CaBi bike when I needed one - the only time I faced an empty station was once near the Mall, and I found a bike at another nearby station. I have been dock block a couple of times, but things always worked out more or less. I have not been relying on CaBi to commute, though I sometimes do use it with some urgency. I have also used dockless once, here, and the semi dockless once in Albany. Here, the dockless bike I wanted was simply not to be found despite showing up on the app (maybe locked indoors?) . In Albany, with semi dockless, I have seen an empty dock at least once, in just a few days of observation.

    As an advocate in Alexandria, I would be very reluctant to suggest slowing the rollout of new CaBi stations based on the promise of dockless. My concern is not so much that CaBi goes away and then dockless goes away too, but that CaBi goes away (in a place like Alexandria, because antibike CaBi haters seize on the availability of dockless), and that dockless, though very useful for some, does not provide all the benefits that we are looking for from CaBi.

  12. #109
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I haven't read through the dockpocalypse discussion and I haven't used them yet, but I'm not sure I would agree that we have a "really good" bikeshare system. I've been a member for 5 years or so and while I think the bikes are decent (though seat issues vex me), the customer service is good, and the technology is helpful, I find that close to 40% of my desired rides are thwarted by stations being full or empty. Three years ago, it was 20%. Below is a picture of what the stations look like right now in the middle of the day. If you are in Tysons, Reston or a number of other places, you are ok for getting or dropping a bike. However, in almost all of DC (except for east of the river) and most of the orange line in Arlington, stations are either full or empty. I have tried to share this with them and ask them to consider better rebalancing methods or incentives, but it just gets worse. I agree that dockless could threaten cabi but I think cabi needs to be better.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	15624

    can't read that, but went to the CaBi site, and the overwhelming majority of stations in DC and orange line arlington had at least one bike, and at least one empty dock. The ones that were either 100% empty or full, were mostly walking distance to ones that were not. The biggest problem of empty stations is in Adams Morgan / Mount Pleasant, where it does seem the system is under stress. Maybe a better rebalancing model is needed, or maybe just a few more stations in those neighborhoods , but I think the overall system remains quite useful (I note in the City of Alexandria there is only one station that is 100% empty, and none that are 100% full)

  13. #110
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've seen the orange and green bikes in Pentagon City and a couple of orange bikes in Shirlington which I presume is outside of the approved zone. If they circulate a lot I think they are a good addition to the scene, but most of the ones I've seen seem to sit for 24+ hours, often on the sidewalk or some out of the way place making them look like abandoned bikes to the casual observer. Given how careless people are with Cabi bikes, I don't have much faith the dockless bikes will stay in good shape or not wind up in the river or other places they don't belong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •