Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    According to a study by one of the largest operators – Mobike – their data alone shows a doubling in cycling’s modal share on the ground as more than 30 different companies have emerged in the space of a year.

Hmmm, this could be bigger than ebikes, doncha know.
    Sure, the global collapse of the bikeshare fad and the landfilling of vast quantities of bikes isn't inevitable, but tomorrow's sunrise isn't certain either--it's just a phenomenon with a really high probability. So, yeah, after doubling mode share (and then dividing by 30?) they just might manage to recoup all the VC by...raising prices on a captive market? increasing the mode share by two orders of magnitude? convincing cities to pay them to pave the streets with old bikes instead of asphalt? Anything's possible.

It does seem to me as if the flood of bikes is part of an effort by particular companies to choke off their competitors (IE other dockless ebike companies) and they are eating losses now in order to dominate what may be a large market later on. Now do strategies like that sometimes turn out badly, sure - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble But I don't think they think they are blowing their Renmibi.
    there's a pretty fundamental difference between a business model that scales by increasing the quantity of bits and a business model that scales by increasing the quantity of bikes--one model has capital requirements which decrease on a per-user basis, the other has capital requirements which are fairly constant per-user.

Post Thanks / Like

Article in the Post describes neighborhood advisory commissions in NW DC are unhappy and have called for an emergency meeting.

Post Thanks / Like

Witnessed two instances yesterday of people riding IN the basket of a dockless bikeshare bike. The first was maybe a pre-teen, balancing with his butt on the basket of a Mobike while his older brother/friend pedaled. The second was a small child in the basket of a Limebike, at the doomy intersection of 15th and Constitution (really, parents?!).

Post Thanks / Like

CaBi terms of use don’t permit alterations or additions to their bikes and the axle nuts are shrouded so can’t be made to tow a trailer but I’m unsure about the others. There could be a use case for cargo e-bikeshare if JUMP is successful.
    Last edited by Dewey; 12-03-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the local kids (well, he's probably 15 or 16) stopped me the other day and asked where I could buy one of those "yellow bikes" (I was on my own bike; not sure why he asked me). He heard that there's a crew that has been selling the bikes for $20 or so, presumably after breaking the lock, and thought I'd know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    CaBi terms of use donít permit alterations or additions to their bikes and the axle nuts are shrouded so canít be made to tow a trailer but Iím unsure about the others. There could be a use case for cargo e-bikeshare if JUMP is successful.
    Interesting idea. There have been a few times where it would have been nice to have a cargo bike available to rent. From a quick google skim, it looks like there are some of these in existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Interesting idea. There have been a few times where it would have been nice to have a cargo bike available to rent. From a quick google skim, it looks like there are some of these in existence.
    Spinlister is the only bike share app I know if that might have a cargo bike.

https://www.spinlister.com/

It's not a bad concept, but I could never see listing my bikes for the same reasons I'd never list my truck for rent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

WTOP report someone left a LimeBike on the platform at Minnesota Ave station Sunday evening and another man, now in custody, threw it onto the tracks where an orange line train ran over it damaging the train and for Metro to single track on that stretch for 4 hours.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

great, we've escalated the war on cars into a war on trains!

10. Likes bentbike33, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    One of the local kids (well, he's probably 15 or 16) stopped me the other day and asked where I could buy one of those "yellow bikes" (I was on my own bike; not sure why he asked me). He heard that there's a crew that has been selling the bikes for $20 or so, presumably after breaking the lock, and thought I'd know.
    Given that they have embedded GPS, that would appear a rather hazardous undertaking. Unless you could disable the GPS as well as the lock, you'd be caught pretty quickly.