Likes Likes:  323
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  14
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Washington Post article on dockless that discusses theft and vandalism. It's a Luz Lazo piece, so it's filled with her typical use of generalities and lack of specifying sources.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0a3be926be46

2. Likes rcannon100, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the fact the headline says it's a "growing problem," but the body of the article says it was common in the first months but has dropped significantly since then.

4. Likes Henry, Dewey, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington announces it will follow DC and permit dockless bikes/scooters/ebikes during a trial starting in September 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ofo has laid off most of its US workforce and is withdrawing from several cities, as yet it is unclear if it will continue to operate in the District. Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-b...ons-1531959910

7. Likes Judd, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(Can't read the article, sorry.)

Ofo and Mobike are probably not going to have permits continued after the current pilot, so they'd be fools to keep operations in DC going.

That leaves only the operators owned by or partnered with whatever we're calling those apps these days: Social Bicycles (Jump and non-motorized) is owned by Uber, Lime (bikes, e-bikes, scooters) has partnered with Uber, and Motivate (traditional docked municipal partnerships like CaBi) is owned by Lyft.

Maybe my tinfoil hat has slipped a bit, but this is starting to look like an unhealthy amount of control of for-hire transportation modes in the hands of just a couple of companies for whom the actual job of transporting people is secondary.

Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSalovesh View Post
    (Can't read the article, sorry.)

Ofo and Mobike are probably not going to have permits continued after the current pilot, so they'd be fools to keep operations in DC going.

That leaves only the operators owned by or partnered with whatever we're calling those apps these days: Social Bicycles (Jump and non-motorized) is owned by Uber, Lime (bikes, e-bikes, scooters) has partnered with Uber, and Motivate (traditional docked municipal partnerships like CaBi) is owned by Lyft.

Maybe my tinfoil hat has slipped a bit, but this is starting to look like an unhealthy amount of control of for-hire transportation modes in the hands of just a couple of companies for whom the actual job of transporting people is secondary.
    I'm disappointed Mobike isn't continuing. It for a long time had the most bikes in my area. LimeBike seems to have mostly abandoned bikes in favor of scooters. And if only those companies you mentioned survive, we're back to docked bicycles (which almost never work for me) or electric bicycles (which are great for climbing big hills, but overkill -- and often unavailable -- for a mile or two on the flat).
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 07-24-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I'm disappointed Mobike isn't continuing. It for a long time had the most bikes in my area. LimeBike seems to have mostly abandoned bikes in favor of scooters. And if only those companies you mentioned survive, we're back to docked bicycles (which almost never work for me) or electric bicycles (which are great for climbing big hills, but overkill -- and often unavailable -- for a mile or two on the flat.
    ...or maybe dockless CaBi's. (I saw on the Twitter that in NYC, Citi Bike - operated by Motivate - is taking over ofo's place in the upcoming Bronx pilot, which will be alongside Jump.)

13. Likes Dewey, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    LimeBike seems to have mostly abandoned bikes in favor of scooters.
    Based on their appearance at the DC BAC a few weeks ago, I suspect this is seasonal. It sounded like they expect to wind down the scooters and bring out more bikes as the weather gets colder.

(I don't recall the particular numbers, but apparently the scooters get significantly more use, on a rides per day per vehicle basis—like 5 for the scooters vs less than 1 for the bikes…—so as long as people are going to use the scooters, especially while they've got such a low unit cap imposed by DDOT, it's worth it for them to have more scooters out.)

Assuming, of course, that they're here that long...

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

15. Likes Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like