Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 305

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I keep dropping back in to marvel at the NIMBYism and "All Bikes are great except the ones I don't like" attitudes in this thread. SMH.

    I think dockless bikeshare is great! I think it's an awesome idea. I think the bikes are attractive and, for the most part, well-designed. I think CaBi needs the competition. I haven't seen any mounds and mounds and mounds of abandoned bikes anywhere, and if the only other objection people can come up with is "ZOMG BIKES LEFT OUTSIDE THE LIMITS WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDRENZ," then I think not only are the pilots working but frankly, some people may just have a tad too much time on their hands.

    So there.
    I don't care about bikes left outside the limits. I do care about bikes left so they block wheelchair users from using the sidewalk. But I object to that anywhere, not just in my back yard.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Living in the world
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I don't care about bikes left outside the limits. I do care about bikes left so they block wheelchair users from using the sidewalk. But I object to that anywhere, not just in my back yard.
    Sure, but reading this thread, one would think that every curb cut in the city was blocked by dbs bikes, and that is the only place users leave them (except when they leave them outside the service area, then it's more like 50-50).

  3. #203
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I keep dropping back in to marvel at the NIMBYism and "All Bikes are great except the ones I don't like" attitudes in this thread. SMH.
    I'm making the assumption that this is partly directed at me. If it wasn't, then just ignore the rest of this. If it was, it's a misinterpretation. (In fact, I rode a Jump Bike just five hours ago - https://www.strava.com/activities/1352316422) I haven't read anyone's comments as NIMBYISM. Although folks have been critical of certain aspects or maybe had a critical tone when commenting, I can't recall anyone advocating for banning dockless bike shares. Carol's made some critical statements about DoBi's, but she's also ridden them several times according to her Strava rides. I didn't re-read the entire thread, but if you can find a more than one quote of someone in the last month advocating banning all DoBis on this thread I will buy you a six pack of your choosing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I think dockless bikeshare is great! I think it's an awesome idea. I think the bikes are attractive and, for the most part, well-designed. I think CaBi needs the competition. I haven't seen any mounds and mounds and mounds of abandoned bikes anywhere,
    I agree with all of this except for the well designed part. Except for the Jump Bikes which are pretty much built like CaBis, the other bikes have a lot of breakable parts. I don't think anyone is ever going to make money off of a dockless bikeshare system. I haven't ridden any of the dockless bikes other than Jump because I'm 6'3" and after giving the straddle test to all of them, the cost of downloading the app to confirm that my knees will be bumping into my chest with every pedal isn't worth it. You should see my on a Lime Bike. It's ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    and if the only other objection people can come up with is "ZOMG BIKES LEFT OUTSIDE THE LIMITS WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDRENZ," then I think not only are the pilots working but frankly, some people may just have a tad too much time on their hands.
    I think it's reasonable to expect corporations to follow legal agreements, particularly when their business has an impact on a public good (public space in this case). I don't think we need to imply someone is deficient just because we disagree them, especially not over something like dockless bikes.

    I'd actually like to see all the companies dump 10,000 bikes a piece on DC (IIRC, this is what a DoBi bike rep (maybe Lime Bike) told the Arlington BAC they'd like to do) so that I can use it as a means to advocate for a parking space on every corner to be removed and replaced bike racks.

    So there. :P


    As always, I encourage everyone who has an opinion on the DC Dockless Bikeshare pilot to provide feedback to dockless.bikeshare@dc.gov The pilot is scheduled to conclude in April. I have yet to submit my feedback on the pilot to allow the system to mature and normalize as much as possible. I'm fairly certain that my feedback will include most of the bikes not fitting tall people.

  4. #204
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    To add to what Judd says. There are, I am told, a million dockless bikes in Shanghai Now they have a population of 24 million, but I am somewhat skeptical that one dockless bike per 24 residents (including babies) is really sustainable. Maybe the firms that survive can clean up, or maybe there is no way for any of them to ever make money. Meanwhile the Shanghai municipality is building bike parking on a large scale, and is moving forward with infra, as bike trips have more than doubled. That is great and cities should pocket that advance, even if the business model is not really sustainable, but its pretty reasonable to question the business model.

    As for policy, I know Alexandria wants to wait for DC to tote up the costs and benefits before we make any deals.

    (and btw, I have ridden OFO and Limebikes, and I received a free ride on Jump at the Hains Point 100)

  5. #205
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post

    (and btw, I have ridden OFO and Limebikes, and I received a free ride on Jump at the Hains Point 100)
    There's usually a Jump Bike promo code floating around. I have something like $20 bucks on my account that I got for free from the initial sign up offer and the promo code.

    Also, OFO bikes are all free in the month of January.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Silver Spring
    Posts
    44

    Default

    For a long time, I've been a CaBi member (I get it for free from my employer) but I've never used it. We moved buildings recently and had left my Kryptonite lock on the rack at the old building. Just for grits and shins, I grabbed a LimeBike for the trip (about a mile or so) and some cheap BAFS sleaze points to get my team captain off my back (just kidding, Cynthia!)

    Wow. I almost felt like I'd NEVER ridden a bike before. I'm not used to not clipping in. I'm sitting straight up! And even with the seat post fully extended, the seat isn't high enough! The bike is heavy, not terribly agile or comfortable (although I was able to jump a curb... sorta), and of course, my mind could not wrap itself around that I couldn't simply pull the crank up to start with the foot that was still on the pedal.

    I felt like I was in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure".

    I just hope no one I knew saw me.

  7. #207
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Article from Dallas about Zagster introducing a dockless with lock service and also dockless bikelash:

    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tran...-share-problem


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #208
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post
    And even with the seat post fully extended, the seat isn't high enough! The bike is heavy, not terribly agile or comfortable (although I was able to jump a curb... sorta), and of course, my mind could not wrap itself around that I couldn't simply pull the crank up to start with the foot that was still on the pedal.

    I felt like I was in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure".

    I just hope no one I knew saw me.
    I sat on a Lime Bike once and it was waaaaaaay to small for me to ride. I've heard similar from people that are in the 5'8 range (I'm 6'3" so I'm used to not being able to fit on things). I rode a MoBike twice last week. The first time I rode a mile and then abandoned it at a CaBi station since my knees were up in my chest. I rode another one .3 miles in Pentagon City because walking is for chumps.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169

    Default

    JUMP was better received at last month's ward meeting to discuss DoBi than the other companies because they require you use a supplied U-Lock to end your rental.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I sat on a Lime Bike once and it was waaaaaaay to small for me to ride. I've heard similar from people that are in the 5'8 range (I'm 6'3" so I'm used to not being able to fit on things). I rode a MoBike twice last week. The first time I rode a mile and then abandoned it at a CaBi station since my knees were up in my chest. I rode another one .3 miles in Pentagon City because walking is for chumps.
    Actual footage:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •