Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 301

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    So now we have three dockless scooter operations in DC. Waybots, LimeBike, and now Bird.
    I'm curious about these, because I have NO interest in them, and response from most folks I know is similar, but it feels like they're capturing a group of people that aren't interested in biking, or really, walking. The perception seems to be that it's more approachable/more fun/easier to use/easier to wear professional attire than a bike. A woman in my office said seeing them filled her with delight. While I'm not into scooters, I am into people being delighted by their transportation options. I have similar thoughts on the e-boost skateboard/e-unicycle/mixed rideable communities that I'm starting to see.

  2. Likes ginacico liked this post
  3. #272
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Of course, we've gotten used to these kinds of things related to automobiles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kuwait-tire-graveyard-4%u002525255B2%u002525255D.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	17698
    WAMU just had a great article about the Anacostia River which discussed the number of tires that were pulled out of the river when the first clean up efforts began. Tires in the river continue to be a problem in addition to tons of plastic trash.

    Article is here: https://wamu.atavist.com/anacostia-r...hapter-3561428

  4. #273
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone's posted this yet...a photo-essay in The Atlantic on the bike-share oversupply in China. Amazing pictures.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/
    HS, no matter how messed up your messedupedness is, in China, it's even more messed up.

  5. #274
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    it feels like they're capturing a group of people that aren't interested in biking
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    The perception seems to be that it's more approachable/more fun/easier to use/easier to wear professional attire than a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    I am into people being delighted by their transportation options.
    Well stated! I am curious, also.

    "Cyclists" tend to have one hammer, therefore everything looks like a nail. Plenty of voices assert that you can use a bike for everything, but the truth is most people won't. I think to make DC and the metro area much more easily navigable for the community at large, these e-assist skateboard/unicycle/scooter/bike options will fill gaps that trains, buses, and even bikeshares don't fill. It's hard to predict how people will use these gizmos because they haven't been widely available before. But in the grand social experiment figuring out how to get around with minimal fossil fuels and the least amount of hassle, I welcome new ideas and will pay attention to how it all plays out.

  6. Likes Judd, Erin Potter liked this post
  7. #275
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    messedupedness
    MR. SCOTT: "Cap'n, the spellcheck systems are tryin' to shut us down!"
    KIRK: "Go to manual override! NOW Scottie!"

  8. Likes PeteD, Sunyata, Starduster, huskerdont liked this post
  9. #276
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    I'm curious about these, because I have NO interest in them, and response from most folks I know is similar, but it feels like they're capturing a group of people that aren't interested in biking, or really, walking. The perception seems to be that it's more approachable/more fun/easier to use/easier to wear professional attire than a bike. A woman in my office said seeing them filled her with delight. While I'm not into scooters, I am into people being delighted by their transportation options. I have similar thoughts on the e-boost skateboard/e-unicycle/mixed rideable communities that I'm starting to see.
    I always thought those who buy scooters/skateboards did so because they couldn't afford bikes, or because they are more long lasting than cheap bikes, so they have better value. I think the average person who never tried scooters/skateboards and the like is scared from falling while using them(and so am I). So I think they appeal to those who tried scooters/skateboards before.

  10. #277
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aaron Landry posted a video of a ride on a Bird Scooter.

    https://twitter.com/s4xton/status/98...713430529?s=21

  11. #278
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I have tried them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Aaron Landry posted a video of a ride on a Bird Scooter.

    https://twitter.com/s4xton/status/98...713430529?s=21
    I have tried them all: https://twitter.com/i/moments/968212637023694850

  12. Likes Judd, Erin Potter liked this post
  13. #279
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's an article with a bunch of photos of dockless vehicle graveyards here in the US.

  14. Likes bentbike33, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
  15. #280
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    MoBike was recently purchased plus some interesting information about the backers of the Chinese dockless companies.

    https://t.co/UYyCt08QTW

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •