Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Ah assume the answer is no - butt - can any of these bikeshare systems be operated without an App? Asking for a friend with a Blackberry.

(I know.... right??)
    In theory, Jump (the e-bike one) works by signing up through their website in a browser or in the app. Their inventory is still quite limited...

Post Thanks / Like

The Mobike app is a mess on my S7. I basically force close it or a bunch of Chinese writing pops up if it stays up in the background. The Lime Bike app is pretty stable, but I wish they had the reservation feature like Mobike, which I used today. Although, I could see the reservation feature getting abused as you can only cancel 5 reservations per day. If i leave at 4pm, I will just start reserving at 2:45 😀

The Lime Bike felt heavy to me, and I feel like the gear ratios could be better. Third gear was kind of tough, but second gear was too.

The Mobike was a good ride, I enjoyed it. In the first or second day of the trial, I took one to work and locked it, but it never came back on the map. I emailed Mobike and they took care of it.

Availability of a dockless bike is not 100% but either is CaBi, be it no bikes at a dock, or no empty docks. I have been riding in DC for years, but I just started a new job where CaBi fits (until I get my bike parking permit and i start long hauling it from home again), but both the no CaBi bike and no dock situations have happened to me several times in the short time I have been a regular CaBi user, which is 2 weeks.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Asking for a friend with a Blackberry.
    lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    In theory, Jump (the e-bike one) works by signing up through their website in a browser or in the app. Their inventory is still quite limited...
    In practice: no phone needed once you have an account. You can unlike the bike to rent using your account number and pin. If you reserve with your phone (only one minute before charges start) you just need to enter your pin.

As far as the ride...when it works, the electric boost is pretty good...not too sudden. However, on my brief test ride this morning, the motor cut out quite often. From the GGwash review, that is meant to be a safety feature. For me, it ended up being an unsafety feature, as it cut out while going up the hill in 8th St NE near Monroe Street Market while a car was behind me. I went from going at a good clip to almost stopping in a non-PAL manner. Without the boost, it is a beast to pedal (looks like a 8 speed Nexus hub). I had to stop entirely and wait a few seconds for the motor to kick back in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Well, either the Jump e-bikes are being heavily used or they are running into issues. Only six are available at the moment, and the nearest is 3.5 mi. away. Too bad. They sound like a lot of fun. Plus, I was hoping to avoid showing up to happy hour tonight dripping sweat.

edit: I guess people can pay to reserve/hold the bikes, so maybe some of them are being held, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	15521
    I think the trick is to reserve one, then use a different dockless bike to get to it.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't follow the POPville, there's this:

https://www.popville.com/2017/10/doc...hare-doldrums/

and this:

https://www.popville.com/2017/10/whe...heel-editions/

The world is truly too foul to have nice things (if you consider these nice).

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's pretty clear that nobody could have forseen this.

9. Likes Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Less and less sympathy for CaBi this week. I have been met with full docks at Union station in the PM, and empty docks in the morning.

I welcome the dockless bikes. Maybe CaBi needs some motivation to start providing better service.

Not a bike in sight this morning!

Name:	Screenshot_20171005-072605.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	15545

Post Thanks / Like

In case you're not keeping up or weren't in the city yesterday, yellow ofo (lowercase) bikes have now joined the dockless bikeshare fray for a total of FIVE companies piloting programs in DC.

ofo held a little reception in Dupont Circle. Riding one of their yellow bikes to the party didn't earn me any extra swag, but I drank the free lemonade and gave them some vital feedback. Their bikes have 3 gears suitable for urban biking, but the seatpost was actually too short for me (I ride a 54, and my knees were complaining).

The biggest glitch was that their app didn't map my ride correctly, instead it appeared that I rode a very straight line across the North Atlantic. Now that's worth a free drink!

Takes all of 5 minutes to download the app, set up an account, and go. Free through the end of October.

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	15565

ofo scattered 400 bikes in the business district. Four were outside Farragut North.

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	15566

Impressive ocean traverse.

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	15568

A rainbow at Dupont Circle metro.

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	15569
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Likes Judd, bobco85, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It also appears to have tossed you on your head, but at least you're still smiling.

The most interesting fate of a dockless bikeshare I've seen so far.

https://www.popville.com/2017/10/the...ess-bikeshare/

14. Likes ginacico liked this post