Likes Likes:  323
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  14
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Do you have details on the hearing? I'm interested in attending and contacting my electeds beforehand.
    You can speak in-person at the meeting by showing up and filling out a speaker slip, first-come, first-served. You must submit your speaker slip before the item is heard. Don't be late. You can direct advance comments to both countyboard@arlingtonva.us (your electeds) and also to mobility@arlingtonva.us (staff).

Here is the staff report, which states the draft policy.

2. Likes Judd liked this post
  3. 09-22-2018, 04:17 PM

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Of additional note, scooters are restricted to 10 mph and e-bikes to 15 mph which essentially means that all providers in the market would have to modify their equipment in order to comply with the pilot.
    Anyone have (or want to compile) a summary of speed restrictions on ebikes and escooters from other dockless pilots? Best I can tell, DC has a limit of 20mph on ebikes and none I can see on escooters, but I may be reading it wrong.

I did find this report, which has a regulation breakdown, but it doesn't mention speed restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Anyone have (or want to compile) a summary of speed restrictions on ebikes and escooters from other dockless pilots? Best I can tell, DC has a limit of 20mph on ebikes and none I can see on escooters, but I may be reading it wrong.

I did find this report, which has a regulation breakdown, but it doesn't mention speed restrictions.
    NACTO published Guidelines for the Regulation and Mananagement of Shared Active Transportation in July. The guidelines spell out the speed limit on page 9

For all electric-assist small vehicles (e.g. e-bikes, e-scooters), the maximum motor-assist speed
    shall be 15mph.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    NACTO published Guidelines for the Regulation and Mananagement of Shared Active Transportation in July. The guidelines spell out the speed limit on page 9

Note that is is in the shared use context - they do not seem to be saying personally owned ebikes should be regulated to go no faster than 15MPH.

Still the inconsistency with the 20MPH for Class 1 ebikes in the California law (now being adopted by other states as well) seems odd to me. Unless they are assuming A. Shared bike users will be less experienced/skilled B. Shared bikes - even ebikes - are less more likely to be used on sidewalks and trails than owned ebikes. Interestingly there is nothing in the PDF about the issue of limiting ebikes from being ridden on sidewalks or MUTS - but a very long section on issues and options relating to parking them.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting analysis on the turnover rate of dockless equipment in DC:

https://ggwash.org/view/69307/who-ki...pedal-bicycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Oldtowner, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofo is (im)famous for the piles of discarded bikes it leaves behind. You'll still see some on the streets in DC. They have been abandoned and *claimed*.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

In the two weeks I been in the area this time, I've been across the Potomac into DC twice. I have yet to see a "dockless" bikeshare machine on this trip. Did they all disappear when the e-scooters showed up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    In the two weeks I been in the area this time, I've been across the Potomac into DC twice. I have yet to see a "dockless" bikeshare machine on this trip. Did they all disappear when the e-scooters showed up?
    Pretty much yeah. A couple of vendors walked away (if you see the distinctive Ofo yellow, it was a bike abandoned and claimed), others pivoted to all E-scooters. The only dockless bike remaining is the e-assist Jump.

Again, here's the Greater Greater Washington study: https://ggwash.org/view/69307/who-ki...pedal-bicycles
    Last edited by Starduster; 10-06-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Again, here's the Greater Greater Washington study: https://ggwash.org/view/69307/who-ki...pedal-bicycles
    Thanks for that. The maintenance/lifespan angle is very interesting, especially that both the Lime electric scooters and the Jump electric bikes seem to have an average service life of only a couple months,if I'm reading the later graphs correctly. (The author clearly states that initially the scooters averaged a service life of about three weeks.)

I'd love to see a comparison to CaBi, and a closer analysis of repairs vs replacements. While getting people out of cars has clear spatial benefits, I dislike the idea that these devices might be so disposable, which reinforces what I witnessed in California, with fatally wounded scooters lying about the sidewalks like mundane packaging litter.

14. Likes secstate, bentbike33, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Thanks for that. The maintenance/lifespan angle is very interesting, especially that both the Lime electric scooters and the Jump electric bikes seem to have an average service life of only a couple months,if I'm reading the later graphs correctly. (The author clearly states that initially the scooters averaged a service life of about three weeks.)

I'd love to see a comparison to CaBi, and a closer analysis of repairs vs replacements. While getting people out of cars has clear spatial benefits, I dislike the idea that these devices might be so disposable, which reinforces what I witnessed in California, with fatally wounded scooters lying about the sidewalks like mundane packaging litter.
    Well, this is the memory Ofo leaves behind, pretty much everywhere: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ofo Junkyard.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	18450 I gather the e-scooters are no better. This bothers me- it is just plain wasteful.

Curious- Have any of the abandoned/reclaimed dockless bikes shown up at a Local Bike Shop? Repairable? *Worth* repairing?