Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Dockless Bikeshare - The Dockpocalypse Nears

Post Thanks / Like

So, does anyone have any thoughts about using dockless bikes outside of DC? I know you are not supposed to take them out of the city, although some companies don't discuss the issue at all and others don't say what the penalties are. But what happens if you find one already out of the city? Do you get penalized if you take one from one spot outside of the city to another?

The question is not academic. My bike just broke. There are two dockless bikes not far from the Bethesda Metro. I'm contemplating taking one home tonight. If it's still there in the morning, I'd take it back to the CCT, whence it would be more likely to find its way back to DC. But I don't know whether I'd get penalized for leaving it overnight in Bethesda, assuming I picked it up in Bethesda in the first place.

Edit: The available bikes were a LimeBike and a Mobike. Mobike has a specific policy against parking a bike outside of their area. LimeBike doesn't. So I took the LimeBike, and figured that at worst, they'd send me a nasty e-mail. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 11-09-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So far, no Nastygram from LimeBike.

Post Thanks / Like

Jump Bike is suddenly more than just a curiosity— huge increase in the number of bikes for last night’s launch party.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A0537E4-4A7D-425F-98C4-4C5703FE6B2F.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	15705

4. Likes Emm, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Jump Bike is suddenly more than just a curiosity— huge increase in the number of bikes for last night’s launch party.

Name:	2A0537E4-4A7D-425F-98C4-4C5703FE6B2F.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	15705
    I'm finally seeing more than three of them in the city, and ones closer than two miles from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone figured out how to remove the seat from this poor one.

Name:	IMG_20171114_131152-EFFECTS.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	15720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Someone figured out how to remove the seat from this poor one.

Name:	IMG_20171114_131152-EFFECTS.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	15720
    Interesting. There was a lime at Union station this morning that was missing a seat too.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I'm all about encouraging cycling, the dockless bikeshares are about to make my wife go nuts.

They are left pretty much *everywhere*. They are becoming almost like litter! My wife says if she sees one parked in front of our house, she's moving to the middle of the street. (She wouldn't, but you get my point.)

I walked about 4 blocks yesterday down Eye St., and (what looked like) a homeless guy was kicking over every one he walked by. Must have knocked over 8... I picked the first two up, but then figured it wasn't really my problem. 🤗

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post

They are left pretty much *everywhere*. They are becoming almost like litter!
    The other day I saw 3 parked together, a yellow one, an orange one, and a green one. It made me think of rainbow sherbet. So I have a suggestion for the forum dictionary:

sherbet (n.) two or more dockless bikeshare bikes parked in close proximity to one another, usually forming an obstacle.

"Last night on my way home there was a big sherbet blocking what's left of the Maine Ave. sidewalk in front of the Fish Market, at least 8 bikes."

11. Likes consularrider, jctonett liked this post