Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire loan library

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tire loan library

Nothing like a set of premium tires to reinvigorate that old ride! Or so the marketing tells us. A tire loan thread would give list members a way to try out many different tires without dropping $100+ for a new pair. Perhaps this thread can serve as the place to post what you have available, or what you'd like to try, and users can follow up in the thread or directly to arrange loans and trades? Maybe post thumbnail reviews too.

2. Likes cmj7gh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Continental tires for me all the way. The good handmade German ones.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So, yeah, I'm happy to loan out tires for testing. I posted this on the other thread, but will repost my current inventory here. (I may switch back to using one of these sets, but right now these are available)

What I have to loan:
    - Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm
    - Panaracer GravelKing Mud 35mm
    - Schwalbe G-One Allround 40mm (aka "38c" for some reason)
    - WTB Nano 40mm

- Right now, Compass Barlow Pass 38mm tires. (Eventually I will put these on my bike, but am happy to loan them in the meantime.)
    - At some point, I'll have Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm tires, when I swap to the Compass (maybe)

What I'd like to try/borrow:
    - WTB Riddler
    - WTB Resolute
    - Anything in 700x48mm size just to see if that'll clear my frame.

I'm also intrigued by the WTB Exposure 30c or 32c. Probably I'll get a set of those to compare to my G-One Speed tires once those wear out.

Also, I've got lots of yellow tape and am happy to tape up anyone's rims, should you wish to convert to tubeless. You would just need valve stems (or just cut the stems out of some old inner tubes) and sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Continental tires for me all the way. The good handmade German ones.
    I can't believe Conti still doesn't have a road tubeless offering. (Rumor has it that this may finally change next year.) I love their GP4000SII tires, but I like tubeless more. (I'd definitely buy a set of tubeless GP4000SII tires, though, if they were to make them.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quick review of the 700x38c Compass Barlow Pass:
    - measure 37.5mm on 19mm internal-width rims (Kinlin XR31)
    - very easy to mount and seat tubeless. One tire did lose its air overnight, but I also didn't shake things around much and it was fine riding in to work. The bead is very stretchy, which seems wrong for tubeless (but probably fine at these low pressures?).
    - smooth ride. I haven't played with pressure but started with 35/40 (f/r), which seems fine.
    - not faster than a road tire, but feels faster than the G-One tires I was using before (makes sense).
    - can't comment on durability yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Quick review of the 700x38c Compass Barlow Pass:
    - measure 37.5mm on 19mm internal-width rims (Kinlin XR31)
    - very easy to mount and seat tubeless. One tire did lose its air overnight, but I also didn't shake things around much and it was fine riding in to work. The bead is very stretchy, which seems wrong for tubeless (but probably fine at these low pressures?).
    - smooth ride. I haven't played with pressure but started with 35/40 (f/r), which seems fine.
    - not faster than a road tire, but feels faster than the G-One tires I was using before (makes sense).
    - can't comment on durability yet.
    Hey! What does it say on your downtube? It looks like the writing they found on that old viking sword that I saw a NOVA special on. Ulfberht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht_swords

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    Hey! What does it say on your downtube? It looks like the writing they found on that old viking sword that I saw a NOVA special on. Ulfberht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht_swords
    Good eye; that's exactly what it is! :-)

10. Likes ian74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

I'm trying to imagine how you could possibly feel the difference between 9mm QR and through axle setups when you're running a 1.5" 700c tire at 35psi... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Thanks for the review.

I'm trying to imagine how you could possibly feel the difference between 9mm QR and through axle setups when you're running a 1.5" 700c tire at 35psi... :-)
    Oh, that's easy; I just stand up and rock the bars a bit and then listen for the rotor rubbing :-)

But, yes, I decided on the way home that these supple tires need a bit more air to not just feel sloshy.

I should have mentioned in my brief review that these are the "standard" casing (not extra light). I figured these Compass tires have enough of a reputation for no-flat-protection that I didn't need to go even thinner/lighter.

I swear it feels like these new wheels are slow to turn, but haven't actually tracked down whether there is possibly some drag somewhere. They freewheel without any extra drag, though, so this must be my legs that are tired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    But, yes, I decided on the way home that these supple tires need a bit more air to not just feel sloshy.
    They felt much better at the recommended-for-me 45/50psi this AM -- and felt quicker too, whatever they may claim about lower pressure being just as fast on supple tires.