Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Croatan Buck Fifty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    What better way to get ready for it than a "last weekend of BAFS2018" 150 (or 100 or 50) mile gravel race in the flat lands of North Carolina?!

https://www.bikereg.com/croatanbuckfifty

Anyone want to take a trip to the beach?!
    Bumping the thread since this is a few weeks away...

Anyone else sign up for it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Bumping the thread since this is a few weeks away...

Anyone else sign up for it?
    Team Bikenetic will have a pretty big crowd going (15 at last count). A few women from the "Team Not Team" cyclocross group are heading down as well.

I chatted with the Ridge Supply guys at Monster Cross last weekend and they seemed pretty stoked about this race. They really want to put on "the most awesome gravel race ever", and I think they have the potential to make it happen. So if anyone is on the fence, I really think you should come down and do it. *cough*Judd*cough*

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJK6RAqzlk

Ima just gonna leave this here. It looks like it could be a flat Hilly Billy as far as "road" conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJK6RAqzlk

Ima just gonna leave this here. It looks like it could be a flat Hilly Billy as far as "road" conditions.
    I'm trying to figure out if the Schwalbe G-One Allround's I have are adequate or if I should get tires with a more aggressive tread.

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny, I was just having this same conversation with myself this am. I've got massive Rock N Roads (awesomely knobbed), the G-Ones and then the ubiquitous MSO's. I think the G-Ones are going back on my cx bike so it's down to the MSO's and Rock N Roads (currently mounted on gravel bike).

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if the Schwalbe G-One Allround's I have are adequate or if I should get tires with a more aggressive tread.

I'm not doing the race (if I could squeeze it into a single day, I would go, but that looks extremely impractical if not impossible), but based on that footage and the idea of it being like a "flat HBR", I'd do the G-One Allrounds myself. I loved those tires in HBR. Now if it was really muddy -- not just big-puddles to ride around, but inescapable mud -- then probably a different tire would be a better choice. But even on HBR (which had some extremely muddy sections), the G-One Allround were fine. You slide around a little, but that's fun. There were only a couple of spots where I lost traction on a climb, but those tires are so much faster on anything paved, that it would still be my hands-down choice for HBR, regardless of how sloppy.

I'm sad that I have to miss HBR this year for family vacation; I was really looking forward to riding that again [and better] this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I'm not doing the race (if I could squeeze it into a single day, I would go, but that looks extremely impractical if not impossible), but based on that footage and the idea of it being like a "flat HBR", I'd do the G-One Allrounds myself. I loved those tires in HBR. Now if it was really muddy -- not just big-puddles to ride around, but inescapable mud -- then probably a different tire would be a better choice. But even on HBR (which had some extremely muddy sections), the G-One Allround were fine. You slide around a little, but that's fun. There were only a couple of spots where I lost traction on a climb, but those tires are so much faster on anything paved, that it would still be my hands-down choice for HBR, regardless of how sloppy.

I'm sad that I have to miss HBR this year for family vacation; I was really looking forward to riding that again [and better] this year.
    ...Sand. There will be lots and lots of sand. I like the idea of a bigger volume tire so that I can run lower pressure. The RnR's are 43 or 44, and my G Ones I think are only 33's (? maybe...not huge). Still a few weeks to vacillate on choice.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

...Sand. There will be lots and lots of sand. I like the idea of a bigger volume tire so that I can run lower pressure. The RnR's are 43 or 44, and my G Ones I think are only 33's (? maybe...not huge). Still a few weeks to vacillate on choice.
    Ah, ok. Yeah, I guess there is a lot of sand in that video, now that I pay a little more attention

My G-Ones measure 40mm now on the wider rims. But, that's a tough choice, yeah. (But the RnRs sound pretty perfect if there's lots of sand.)

If I was doing it, I'd hope for things to dry out a little here so I could play with tires & pressures a bit in some nearby sand to see how they behave. I've only ridden the G-Ones through small patches of sand. I'd be curious to hear feedback with the G-Ones on this route if anyone does run them.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    So if anyone is on the fence, I really think you should come down and do it. *cough*Judd*cough*
    I have a beautiful titanium cross bike that has all the parts loose fitted together.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the guy in the video is rolling slicks and he seems to be doing ok.