Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1

Thread: Women's specific design bikes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Women's specific design bikes

This article from Lennard Zinn is interesting, and indicates because individual proportions vary so much, there may be no real need for a WSD for bike frames (or mail-specific for that matter).

http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/bike...-design_446430

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe no need for "WSD" frames, but there's a real need for manufacturers to design frames in smaller sizes around smaller wheels, to avoid things like 76 degree seat tube angles.

Post Thanks / Like

I find gender designating bicycle frame styles peculiar, I'm a 44 y.o. male and while my commuting bike has a diamond frame I prefer riding a Capital Bikeshare step through frame when I have occasion to use one because I find it easier to hop on and off. The article talks about Giant/Liv offering shorter cranks, narrower handlebars, and there's certainly a need for components made to fit different size people e.g. brake handles with adjustable reach, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile, I would like it if I didn't have to put so much money/effort into customizing my bike "unisex" for my size. WSD, small-sized, whatever you want to call it, most things in the bikeshop are not "for me." If there were a WSD option for my ride, chances are it would be a better fit out-of-the box.

A problem as I understand it through is these can come with a mark-up and lesser components. I have no interest in trading my 105s for pink trim...

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm dubious of women specific frames since humans tend to have great variability in their parts within gender. I'm a really tall dude with proportionally short arms and fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk