Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Transit Benefit Bicycle Program

Post Thanks / Like

Our benefit is starting to look like a real bargain. It's $125/month, but it's taxable sos you get less. The good thing is that it's only for reimbursement of bike expenses, so when the balance gets low, you get to buy a new bike or a set of wheels. I'm still at like $4,000 though, so no new bike for a bit.

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Here are HHS' rules. CPTJohnC can chime in with details since he actually receives it. But the short answer appears to be no--your agency has created a new and exciting level of bureaucracy

I should look into how much I actually drive. Especially with the fact I may be moving sometime in the next few months to a more metro-accessible location, it may actually be more cost effective to take the bike parking benefit and just pay $15/day for the few times a year I need to drive. Currently I'm keeping my parking spot on principle. It costs my agency $3,200/yr to give me car parking in the same secure garage they refuse to let me park my bike .
    Simple solution. Park car in garage with bike rack on back. Leave there. Ride to work and put bike on back of car. End of day, just take the bike off the car and ride home.

4. Likes dasgeh, Brett L., Emm, Steve O, lordofthemark and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE Amalitza, dbb ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    Simple solution. Park car in garage with bike rack on back. Leave there. Ride to work and put bike on back of car. End of day, just take the bike off the car and ride home.
    Best thing about this plan is the car does not even have to run. Just pick up a junker and have it towed in.

6. Likes Sunyata, Emm liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

More secure solution would be a van with the seats removed...

8. Likes anomad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You my friend, are a genius.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. This makes me incredibly glad that Arlington County makes things so simple. There was a one time form to fill out for the bike benefit ($22/month, $10 of which is non-taxable) AND I get a free CaBi membership.

Thanks for being such a Bike Friendly community, Arlington.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder - it's bike subsidy submitting time!

At my agency (Federal Reserve Board), we get $20/month if we
    1) don't get any other subsidy (Metro, parking)
    2) submit for reimbursement during September 1-15 and/or March 1-15
    3) in the submission, check the box for each eligible month, put in the amount and describe what the amount is for (e.g. I bought $60 lock in February, so for March, April and May I could put in $20 each)
    4) include in the submission receipts for any purchases above $75
    5) certify to these things:
    I certify that while enrolled in the bicycle subsidy program, I will not receive other transit subsidy benefits such as the vanpool, Board carpool, or the permanent parking program for the same months.
    I certify that I am eligible to receive reimbursement up to $20 per month for expenses incurred, not to exceed, $240, during the calendar year.
    I certify that I can only claim reimbursement expense for the months that I regularly used my non-motorized bicycle for a substantial portion of travel between my residence and my official work location.
    I certify that failure to comply with this policy may result in disciplinary or adverse action, up to and including separation from Board employment.
    I accept this policy.
    The process takes all of 5 minutes to sign up the first time, then maybe 10 minutes twice a year to get the max reimbursement. None of this is taxable.

12. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Thanks for the reminder - it's bike subsidy submitting time!

At my agency (Federal Reserve Board), we get $20/month if we
    1) don't get any other subsidy (Metro, parking)
    2) submit for reimbursement during September 1-15 and/or March 1-15
    3) in the submission, check the box for each eligible month, put in the amount and describe what the amount is for (e.g. I bought $60 lock in February, so for March, April and May I could put in $20 each)
    4) include in the submission receipts for any purchases above $75
    5) certify to these things:

The process takes all of 5 minutes to sign up the first time, then maybe 10 minutes twice a year to get the max reimbursement. None of this is taxable.
    Sounds like our agencies shared policies.

14. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Sounds like our agencies shared policies.
    Maybe, but ours is 100% electronic (you scan receipts, and don't need them if no items are >$75). And no check boxes for every day. That's silly. So not much hassle.

16. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Maybe, but ours is 100% electronic (you scan receipts, and don't need them if no items are >$75). And no check boxes for every day. That's silly. So not much hassle.
    Agreed - we just have to state (under penalty of fine/imprisonment/etc.) that we biked more than half the time for whatever month we're claiming the benefit, though we need receipts for everything. And since it's handled like a local travel voucher, while the transit subsidy coordinator had to approve my application, it's my manager that has to approve my reimbursement claim.

The bigger issue is the underlying IRS regulations (based on the laws Congress passed) that only allows $20/month for bicycling, but $255/month for parking a car.

18. Likes scoot, Judd, dasgeh liked this post