Thread: Bicycle Fees at Local National Parks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fees at Local National Parks

Prince William Forest Park is proposing increased fees. I'm curious what others think about the ratio between cyclist and vehicle fees.
    https://www.nps.gov/prwi/proposedfee.htm

I've never actually ridden to Prince William, but I've been slightly perturbed by the fee ratios at Great Falls. I understand that these parks need fee income to fund themselves, but I'm not sure that 2 cyclists who ride into a park together (and would cost $14) impose the same usage and externalities on the park as a vehicle (which would cost $10). (Under the proposal, the percentage difference between cyclist and vehicle fees has decreased from the current difference.)

On the other hand, people who cycle to a park are probably less price sensitive than the average vehicle driver.

I think the fees at Great Falls are really out of whack but they aren't open for comment right now.

2. Likes scoot, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you buy a season pass (or a lifetime pass) you can get four people in on one admission. If you go often, this is a pretty good work around.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

NPS fees for cyclist are nuts across the board. They shouldn't be any more than the car fee divided by the number of people allowed in a car, and even that is high.

Post Thanks / Like

Or simply ride on the C&O on the MD side. :-) (Although there are ways to ride into the park without going through the gate as well...)

Post Thanks / Like

You can park at Swains Lock and ride down the 2 or so miles. Not as crazy as the lot at Old Angler's Inn.

Post Thanks / Like

Really appreciating my lifetime Senior Pass (total cost $20 including the convenience fee; I got it before the fee went up). But the difference between motor vehicles and cars is even worse with that. I can bring in a vehicle with up to four people in it for free. But if my wife comes in on a separate bike, she pays full freight.