Thread: Bicycle Fees at Local National Parks

Default Bicycle Fees at Local National Parks

Prince William Forest Park is proposing increased fees. I'm curious what others think about the ratio between cyclist and vehicle fees.
    https://www.nps.gov/prwi/proposedfee.htm

I've never actually ridden to Prince William, but I've been slightly perturbed by the fee ratios at Great Falls. I understand that these parks need fee income to fund themselves, but I'm not sure that 2 cyclists who ride into a park together (and would cost $14) impose the same usage and externalities on the park as a vehicle (which would cost $10). (Under the proposal, the percentage difference between cyclist and vehicle fees has decreased from the current difference.)

On the other hand, people who cycle to a park are probably less price sensitive than the average vehicle driver.

I think the fees at Great Falls are really out of whack but they aren't open for comment right now.

I think if you buy a season pass (or a lifetime pass) you can get four people in on one admission. If you go often, this is a pretty good work around.

NPS fees for cyclist are nuts across the board. They shouldn't be any more than the car fee divided by the number of people allowed in a car, and even that is high.

Or simply ride on the C&O on the MD side. :-) (Although there are ways to ride into the park without going through the gate as well...)

You can park at Swains Lock and ride down the 2 or so miles. Not as crazy as the lot at Old Angler's Inn.

Really appreciating my lifetime Senior Pass (total cost $20 including the convenience fee; I got it before the fee went up). But the difference between motor vehicles and cars is even worse with that. I can bring in a vehicle with up to four people in it for free. But if my wife comes in on a separate bike, she pays full freight.