Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Henry is offline BikeArlington's Adorable Junior Admin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default September 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Cloudy and cool, but on a Friday before Labor Day, all bike corridors remain wide open as far a I know. Bike on!

2. Likes JustinW, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another trail disruption report from my inbox:

"Four Mile Run Trail to be Impacted by I-395 Rehabilitation Project

Rehabilitation work on the Shirley Highway (I-395) bridge over Four Mile Run is planned to begin this week. The bridge work will require a temporary narrowing of the Four Mile Run pedestrian and bicycle trail where it passes beneath the Shirley Highway bridge.
    Crews contracted to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will begin to set-up work platforms above the trail sometime in the week of September 4th. The work will require a narrowing of the trail for a three to four-month period. Full closure of the trail will be limited to a few selected times and only during night-time hours. Directional detour signs will be provided for trail users in those periods when the trail is closed."

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post

Rehabilitation work on the Shirley Highway (I-395) bridge over Four Mile Run is planned to begin this week. The bridge work will require a temporary narrowing of the Four Mile Run pedestrian and bicycle trail where it passes beneath the Shirley Highway bridge.
    Crews contracted to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will begin to set-up work platforms above the trail sometime in the week of September 4th. The work will require a narrowing of the trail for a three to four-month period. Full closure of the trail will be limited to a few selected times and only during night-time hours. Directional detour signs will be provided for trail users in those periods when the trail is closed."
    Good that they're keeping it open, but that is pretty much the worst possible spot to do extensive construction work, since there are no good detour options. Going south to the Shirlington ped overpass is at least feasible, but JFC what a pain. Let's just hope the "narrowing" doesn't dramatically affect usability.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they actually started setting up last weekend. Wasn't too bad when I went by, but there were a couple of dudes on ladders that didn't have their work area very well marked off. Please be cautious when biking through during the work and give yourself plenty of time to stop or avoid any equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Full closure of the trail will be limited to a few selected times and only during night-time hours. Directional detour signs will be provided for trail users in those periods when the trail is closed."
    Looks like folks will need to go old school at those times. I hope the signs lead to the I-395 ped bridge (old Four Mile Run Trail route) and not Shirlington Rd-29th St-Glebe Rd.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a bit of the setup at the Shirlington underpass. It looks like they're putting up some kind of netting in case of any falling debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Persimmon Tree Road in Potomac remains closed for bridge repair - between River Road and Glen Rd.

Reopened on or before 9/23
    Last edited by drewguy; 09-23-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

On Monday evening, on 4MRT by the parking lot at Bluemont Park (the smaller part of the lot, along the ball fields), a car entered the trail. I waved my arms yelling "NO! TRAIL!" and he re-entered the lot.
    They repaved the trail and the lot in the past year and there are no markings indicating that the parking lot ends or signs about a trail and no curb. I e-mailed the county suggesting paint/signs and they wrote back to say that it has now been entered as a work order. Keep an eye out for the upgrades. And further incursions.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got word from our friends at Arlington Parks and Recreation that there will be a bit more work on the Four Mile Run Trail.
    Details from my inbox:
    "There will be a short term trail closure on the Four Mile Run trial on Friday of this week (9/22) and Monday (9/25). This is for installation of some final project elements, and should be the last closure related to the project. The detour in Alexandria is still available for trail users. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Be alert this Friday and Monday--detour is still up that takes you on the Alexandria side.

Related to this work: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...tour-2016-2017

Post Thanks / Like

Route 1 -Patrick St. near (at least North of) King St. Heading North , the right lane is being repaved. Theres about a 2" drop from the lane to the left. Take care when riding there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. Likes Steve O liked this post