Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ikea City Bike (Seriously)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ikea City Bike (Seriously)

    My computer/printer tech workday took me to an IKEA store (College park) today, where I got to take a look at an IKEA Sladda city bike. I kid not. It is a simple city bike, mechanical disk front, coaster brake rear, belt drive, with a SRAM Automatix 2 speed hub- the one that kicks into high gear automatically when you reach 10-12 mph.

    It has some interesting custom details- clips (rivets?) designed for custom front and rear racks, and an available trailer. Other than a decidedly cheap kickstand, component choice and fit & finish are worthy of its $499 price point. Which is good.

    What was bad? Department store quality assembly. The steerer and stem are an unusual mix of threadless steerer with what appears to be a quill stem, adjustable angle, which was installed backwards and flipped as forward as it would allow. Both display bikes were mounted on trainers. But all tires flat. Can't test spin that way... And the advertised standard battery lights were missing.Name:  sladda-bicycle-gray__0441558_PE593438_S4.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  30.9 KB

    Curious if anyone has seen these on the road, or in the service que at their LBS...

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30326728/

  2. Likes KLizotte liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I haven't seen any on the road yet, but do recall seeing positive reviews about them when they launched last year and thought it was fine when I tried it out in store (tires were inflated so I could roll with it).

    As far as pricing - if you're an Ikea Family member (their free loyalty program), it's $100 cheaper, so only $399. All of the accessories they have to offer are also discounted. One of these days I'll probably pick up the trailer because I feel like I should have a trailer and that seems like a decent price.

  4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  5. #3
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't quite decide if this is actually a good deal or not. There's obviously cheap-o things about it, but at the same time, it's difficult to find reasonably-priced bikes with belt drives. Maybe if this had a 3 speed IGH instead of the two speed "automatic", I'd even consider picking one up for guests and what not.

  6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I can't quite decide if this is actually a good deal or not. There's obviously cheap-o things about it, but at the same time, it's difficult to find reasonably-priced bikes with belt drives. Maybe if this had a 3 speed IGH instead of the two speed "automatic", I'd even consider picking one up for guests and what not.

    Throw a basket on it and it would make a pretty decent town bike.

  8. #5
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Throw a basket on it and it would make a pretty decent town bike.
    Ikea has a basket accessory for it, but it looks a little too shallow to be truly useful. I'm kinda diggin' the pannier/backpack though...

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...roducts/35775/

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I put one of these together and had several screws and bolts left over.

    Sorry, can't believe I'm the first in with an Ikea joke.

  10. Likes Crickey7, streetsmarts, Starduster liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    I put one of these together and had several screws and bolts left over.

    Sorry, can't believe I'm the first in with an Ikea joke.
    How could this be?

  12. Likes ian74 liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you're interested in a cheap belt drive bike here's an article comparing the Ikea Sladda to the slightly cheaper/lighter Priority Classic which has 3-speeds compared with the Ikea's 2.

    This guy in Toronto converted an Ikea Sladda to an ebike with a front hub motor, despite the motor not being connected to the drivetrain he broke the Continental belt at 2,000km and got it replaced under warranty - the trouble with belt drives is most bike shops don't carry the belts in stock so if it breaks while you're out on a long ride you'll have to get the bike back home somehow - AAA carry bicycles on a tow truck.
    Last edited by Dewey; 09-05-2017 at 09:41 AM.

  14. #9
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    the trouble with belt drives is most bike shops don't carry the belts in stock so if it breaks while you're out on a long ride you'll have to get the bike back home somehow
    I'm not sure that's a real difference in practice, unless you happen to break a chain in front of a bike shop.

    As far as AAA (beyond "friends don't let friends support anti-bike/ped lobbying"), I'd suggest you'd be waiting a long time for a tow truck near the bottom of the priority list. If you can't phone a friend, arranging for an uber or equivalent is almost certainly going to quicker/easier/cheaper in the long run.
    Last edited by mstone; 09-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I'm not sure that's a real difference in practice, unless you happen to break a chain in front of a bike shop.

    As far as AAA (beyond "friends don't let friends support anti-bike/ped lobbying"), I'd suggest you'd be waiting a long time for a tow truck near the bottom of the priority list. If you can't phone a friend, arranging for an uber or equivalent is almost certainly going to quicker/easier/cheaper in the long run.
    If you've got a chain tool on you (I've got a crummy, but workable one on my multi-tool) you can fix a broken chain in the field. Bob James had a pin partially pop out of one of his links yesterday and was back on the bike within a few minutes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •