Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: 2017 Indian Head Century - September 4

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    I have a registration that I'm not going to use. Just had knee surgery today (torn meniscus) and though I'm feeling great, committing to a ride of any length on Monday seems overly ambitious.

    If you've been thinking about going and need a late entry, PM me!
    Sending wishes for a speedy recovery

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  2. Likes ginacico, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    I have a registration that I'm not going to use. Just had knee surgery today (torn meniscus) and though I'm feeling great, committing to a ride of any length on Monday seems overly ambitious.

    If you've been thinking about going and need a late entry, PM me!
    Sorry to hear that the PT didn't fix it. Glad to hear that it's feeling better already.

  4. Likes ginacico, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
  5. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    On The Diamond
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Welcome to the forum Left Field. There was a big group of Forum folks that rode together last year. I think we left right around the start time of 7. Looking back at last year's ride on Strava, it looks like most of us averaged about 15.5. I'd be happy to have you along if you want to ride with us.
    Judd, thank you for the welcome. I will definitely be there at 7. 15.5 should be manageable as I think the course is reasonably flat, but then again I have never ridden this ride, and hey, being dropped will only help my fragile ego issue.

    As a quick way of introduction, I am a bike commuter type. 30 miles round trip from south of Alexandria. I have been riding solo on both commutes/rides and wanted to get more involved in rides and the biking community. I am very interested in helping to integrate biking into our community and ensuring riding is both safe, fun and an alternative to cars. Yeah, getting on a bike and riding to work in rain, snow, cold, heat is not for everyone, but it should always be an option.

  6. Likes Bob James, Sunyata, Judd, Emm, CBGanimal liked this post
  7. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Falls Church VA
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Left Field View Post
    Judd, thank you for the welcome. I will definitely be there at 7. 15.5 should be manageable as I think the course is reasonably flat, but then again I have never ridden this ride, and hey, being dropped will only help my fragile ego issue.

    As a quick way of introduction, I am a bike commuter type. 30 miles round trip from south of Alexandria. I have been riding solo on both commutes/rides and wanted to get more involved in rides and the biking community. I am very interested in helping to integrate biking into our community and ensuring riding is both safe, fun and an alternative to cars. Yeah, getting on a bike and riding to work in rain, snow, cold, heat is not for everyone, but it should always be an option.
    Oh you are talking to the right people! Someone will tell you about Freezing Saddles on the 100 mile Indian head ride...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
  9. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    On The Diamond
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    Oh you are talking to the right people! Someone will tell you about Freezing Saddles on the 100 mile Indian head ride...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After I found this forum, I thought I might have found the choir to preach to. I saw the Freezing Saddles posts and the only drawback is I have a flip phone, a bike computer from circa 2006, and no Strava. The Stone age does have advantages however.

  10. #16
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Left Field View Post
    Judd, thank you for the welcome. I will definitely be there at 7. 15.5 should be manageable as I think the course is reasonably flat, but then again I have never ridden this ride, and hey, being dropped will only help my fragile ego issue.

    As a quick way of introduction, I am a bike commuter type. 30 miles round trip from south of Alexandria. I have been riding solo on both commutes/rides and wanted to get more involved in rides and the biking community. I am very interested in helping to integrate biking into our community and ensuring riding is both safe, fun and an alternative to cars. Yeah, getting on a bike and riding to work in rain, snow, cold, heat is not for everyone, but it should always be an option.
    Though I now live in the CITY of Alexandria, I would like to mention FABB (Fairfax Alliance for Better Biking) which is the main bike advocacy group in Fairfax County.

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    On The Diamond
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Though I now live in the CITY of Alexandria, I would like to mention FABB (Fairfax Alliance for Better Biking) which is the main bike advocacy group in Fairfax County.
    Thank you for the reference and while off-topic to this thread, FABB does great advocacy, and that is why I joined here, to hear about bikes, riding, and thoughts about approaches to thorny issues like Sharrows, bollards, wooden bridges and other concepts designed by dark side (looking at you bollards at the bottom of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on a dark morning in the rain and you first bridge headed North after the stone bridge in the rain, in fall with freshly fallen leaves).

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Left Field View Post
    Judd, thank you for the welcome. I will definitely be there at 7. 15.5 should be manageable as I think the course is reasonably flat, but then again I have never ridden this ride, and hey, being dropped will only help my fragile ego issue.

    As a quick way of introduction, I am a bike commuter type. 30 miles round trip from south of Alexandria. I have been riding solo on both commutes/rides and wanted to get more involved in rides and the biking community. I am very interested in helping to integrate biking into our community and ensuring riding is both safe, fun and an alternative to cars. Yeah, getting on a bike and riding to work in rain, snow, cold, heat is not for everyone, but it should always be an option.
    Where do you commute to? If it's in to DC and the timing works, there's a coffee club at the Crystal City Waterpark on Tuesdays from 7ish to 8 and on Thursday at the Whole Foods in Pentagon City also from 7ish to 8. Feel free to stop by if it's on your way, even if it's just to say hi.

    Strava shows 3,278 feet of climbing for the ride last year. There's one sharp steep climb before one of the rest stops that has a payoff with a great view. Other than that, I only remember one other climb from last year.

    I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number to find us on Monday. Most of the folks in our group will have a green Freezing Saddles tag hanging from our saddle bags that looks like this:
    Name:  IMG_2021.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  85.0 KB

  13. Likes Left Field liked this post
  14. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    On The Diamond
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Where do you commute to? If it's in to DC and the timing works, there's a coffee club at the Crystal City Waterpark on Tuesdays from 7ish to 8 and on Thursday at the Whole Foods in Pentagon City also from 7ish to 8. Feel free to stop by if it's on your way, even if it's just to say hi.

    Strava shows 3,278 feet of climbing for the ride last year. There's one sharp steep climb before one of the rest stops that has a payoff with a great view. Other than that, I only remember one other climb from last year.

    I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number to find us on Monday. Most of the folks in our group will have a green Freezing Saddles tag hanging from our saddle bags that looks like this:
    Unfortunately, I commute to the west side of Alexandria and am on the road early, but if I get the chance I will stop by.

    Well, at least there is a good view after a climb, that is always a benefit. I will look for the green tags and thanks for the phone number. I am riding a green Surly cross check, silver fenders, and alarmingly bright yellow handle bar tape.

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hope to see everyone there. I'm planning to also do this ride, but I haven't decided if I'm driving there or if I'm stupid enough to attempt to ride to and from as well. Depending which I choose will likely govern when I start. If you see me on the road, give a wave! I'll be in a white and orange jersey that says Stantec on it.

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

  16. Likes Bob James, Emm, CBGanimal, Steve O liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •