Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Indian Head Century - September 4

Post Thanks / Like

I just signed up last night! Will look for y'all there at 7. Will be riding my Seven. Weather is looking great!

2. Likes Bob James, Steve O, CBGanimal, Judd, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that MD 210 is under construction, with sections with no shoulders. Does anyone have more info on where exactly that construction is located and how it might impact riding to and from Indian Head from National Harbour?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    I've heard that MD 210 is under construction, with sections with no shoulders. Does anyone have more info on where exactly that construction is located and how it might impact riding to and from Indian Head from National Harbour?
    I received an email from Indian head century organizers saying the have routed around the some bad areas for the ride itself...if you are thinking of riding there I'm not sure...I have ridden on 210 even with no construction and encountered areas that were a bit too close to the speeding traffic so be careful...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was down there a few weeks ago and don't recall the exact locations, but it was dicey. Although it will be early, there will be a number of cars for the ride. You could go Oxon Hill to Livingston and that drops you on 210 a few miles from Indian Head. But not as direct a route as 210.
    Last edited by Left Field; 09-01-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The following still applies:

Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    Here is my commuting route between Alexandria and Indian Head. Old Fort is not ideal but the alternatives are 210 and Livingston road which are... not better.

https://www.strava.com/activities/610958190

There is ongoing construction on hwy210 that involves shoulder closings on both north bound and southbound sides. DO NOT RIDE ON 210 between the Beltway and Farmington Road.
    I have not ridden my commute since May so I can't guarantee current biking conditions on the side roads, but I drive hwy210 daily and the shoulder closings are still there. Don't try to ride on it.
    Last edited by Amalitza; 09-02-2017 at 02:47 PM.

7. Likes Left Field liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    The following still applies:
    I have not ridden my commute since May so I can't guarantee current biking conditions on the side roads, but I drive hwy210 daily and the shoulder closings are still there. Don't try to ride on it.
    What Amalitza said and i did not do nearly well enough: there are alternatives, but they are not better. I hate to say it, but drive down and look forward to seeing you there.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses everyone. I have coordinated a compromise: I'm riding to national harbor and meeting up with a buddy there to drive the remaining distance. I hope the construction will improve cycling options upon completion for future use, especially for residents of that area.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fyi for those who plan to start their ride late and are coming from NoVA: the Wilson Bridge is opening at 8am, so traffic will be stopped for awhile so the US Coast Guard's tall ship Eagle can get through.

I believe most of us are starting our ride at 7am though so it shouldn't affect us.

12. Likes CBGanimal liked this post