Thread: Transporting a bike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transporting a bike

A friend has a tandem that she wants to give me. The problem is that it is in Columbus, OH, and I am in Wheaton, MD. While that might be a nice long ride (about 50 rolling hours!) I'd rather ship it. Looking for recommendations and advice. My first thought was to find the LBS and ask them to box it. Then send by UPS or somesuch.

Thanks!

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp View Post
    I'd rather ship it. Looking for recommendations and advice.
    I'd use Bike Flights. They've pretty much become experts at packing and shipping bikes of all types, and should give you a decent rate.

My experience with UPS lately has not been good.

4. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to look the gift horse in the mouth but you might want to check the value, condition and the 2 sizes of the tandem before you go all in. They don't shrink much when you take them apart for shipping. After boxing, shipping, parts and work needed you might be upside down or have a bike that does not fit you and your stoker. As with single bikes they range widely in value from little to $20,000 for a top end machine.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 08-28-2017 at 08:56 AM.

6. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp View Post
    A friend has a tandem that she wants to give me. The problem is that it is in Columbus, OH, and I am in Wheaton, MD. While that might be a nice long ride (about 50 rolling hours!) I'd rather ship it. Looking for recommendations and advice. My first thought was to find the LBS and ask them to box it. Then send by UPS or somesuch.

Thanks!
    I'd personally use it as an excuse to visit and pick it up by car. As Vicegrip pointed out, it spends on the value of the tandem. I see low end ones on Craigslist for 200 bucks sometimes, but I also see nicer ones that go for a couple thousand.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'd personally use it as an excuse to visit and pick it up by car. As Vicegrip pointed out, it spends on the value of the tandem. I see low end ones on Craigslist for 200 bucks sometimes, but I also see nicer ones that go for a couple thousand.
    This. And most tandems fit in most minivans without much fuss. (Our triple fits in our Honda Odyssey with the fuss of taking out the middle thingy in the front.)

Post Thanks / Like

As another datapoint, I have a Trek T900 tandem, and it fits in my Honda Fit when I take off the front wheel and front seatpost/saddle/bar assembly. My wife has to sit in the car tandem, i.e., behind me. This helps prep her for the bike ride

Tandem Fit by ricky d, on Flickr

I also have 1UpUSA hitch racks on both of my cars, and I put the tandem on there nowadays because it's easier than taking things apart and stuffing it into the Fit. I use one ratcheting strap to help hold the bike in place. Although it sits a little wide, I don't think it extends past the mirrors, so I'm not too worried about it.

11. Likes Kitty, dasgeh, Emm, Judd, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    My wife has to sit in the car tandem, i.e., behind me. This helps prep her for the bike ride .

Here's Jo Jo stoking a Honda Fit:
    Tandem Car by bundokbiker, on Flickr

13. Likes Steve O, dasgeh, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an awesome weekend road trip. I rented a car over the eclipse weekend and they had the little nissan mini cargo vans at DCA.

We sold our full sized van after moving here. One of the mini cargo vans is high on the list for our next hauler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Here's Jo Jo stoking a Honda Fit...
    LOL! That pic was from about 4 haircuts and 7 years ago.

16. Likes Steve O liked this post