Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you should not trust a cable lock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why you should not trust a cable lock

I have just learned that a not particularly strong, not particularly skilled with tools 50 something, armed only with a simple bikehand cable cutter (YC-767) , can cut through such a lock in a surprisingly reasonable period of time.

Also, whatever kind of lock you have, be sure to have a spare key handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Combination locks are nice. Keyed locks that only allow you to lock with the key are nice too.

I learned that lesson once after swimming laps in Phoenix Arizona late at night. Luckily the folks at the pool had a big ass pair of bolt cutters for the locker room that made short work of my lock.

This would work too:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	15381

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Combination locks are nice. Keyed locks that only allow you to lock with the key are nice too.

I learned that lesson once after swimming laps in Phoenix Arizona late at night. Luckily the folks at the pool had a big ass pair of bolt cutters for the locker room that made short work of my lock.

This would work too:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	15381
    That would do it. As would a $50 cordless angle grinder from the big box, plus five minutes. Any lock, pretty much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post
    That would do it. As would a $50 cordless angle grinder from the big box, plus five minutes. Any lock, pretty much.

Less than 2 if not under a minute really

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post

5 min? Only if you spend 4 min 40 seconds doing something else. A craptastic harbor fright $30 cordless angle grinder will defeat a $300 "New york" format lock in seconds. After a friend lost his key and was stuck I went through a best of the best motorcycle lock in under 20 seconds and that was being careful of the bike too. No need for the $1000+ gas chop saw. I am always looking at bike lock setups people use. Have not seen one yet that looks like it would be hard to defeat with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel.

Not trying to be bummer bob. Just pointing out that locks only slow thieves down.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100, Birru ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    I am always looking at bike lock setups people use. Have not seen one yet that looks like it would be hard to defeat with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel.

Not trying to be bummer bob. Just pointing out that locks only slow thieves down.
    That's the sad reality. There's not a bike lock out there that will stop a thief. The best you can hope for is yours is good enough that if a theft is going to happen, other nearby bikes will look like more convenient targets. But if a thief really wants your bike, he's going to have it.
    Last edited by Birru; 08-25-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My bike is not super pricey but I always try to put at least 3 locks if I leave it for more than 5 minutes. I always pray thieves just wouldn't bother

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming I do not pursue a second career in the bike theft business, and that I never end up using a lock for which I have no spare key again, there isn't really any benefit to this newly acquired skill, is there? Helping others who are as stupid as I am?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    5 min? Only if you spend 4 min 40 seconds doing something else. A craptastic harbor fright $30 cordless angle grinder will defeat a $300 "New york" format lock in seconds. After a friend lost his key and was stuck I went through a best of the best motorcycle lock in under 20 seconds and that was being careful of the bike too. No need for the $1000+ gas chop saw. I am always looking at bike lock setups people use. Have not seen one yet that looks like it would be hard to defeat with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel.

The best locks will stop bolt cutters, but nothing can stop an angle grinder, is that right?

Post Thanks / Like

@lordofthemark

Well if you catch SteveO accidentally cable locking himself to cats he's throwing off 14th Street bridge you could help?
    Last edited by anomad; 08-25-2017 at 11:15 AM.

12. Likes streetsmarts liked this post