Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1Up double rack and license plates

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1Up double rack and license plates

OK, I got the double tray this past Friday and I love it. Except for the fact it completely obscures my license plate. I got the 1Up holder for it but I thought somehow it flipped up and down so that I could install the holder and then flip the position as needed but it seems I need to unscrew it, rearrange and then screw it back on in order to have it in different positions (to accommodate the rack up and then the rack down and loaded). Ugh. I don't want to do that. Lemme rephrase - I won't.

So, before I say "eff it" and sell the darn thing and buy a single plus one, what are my options? Is there a license plate holder that lets me swap display positions WITHOUT tools? Can I hang it in my back window maybe?

Between the license plate holder and my backup camera being blocked, I don't like the rack. If I could solve at least the plate issue, I could be convinced to keep it. Otherwise keep an eye out on DC Used for what is essentially a brand new 2" super duty double.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you ping the rack vender?

Post Thanks / Like

What's he going to do about it?

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    OK, I got the double tray this past Friday and I love it. Except for the fact it completely obscures my license plate. I got the 1Up holder for it but I thought somehow it flipped up and down so that I could install the holder and then flip the position as needed but it seems I need to unscrew it, rearrange and then screw it back on in order to have it in different positions (to accommodate the rack up and then the rack down and loaded). Ugh. I don't want to do that. Lemme rephrase - I won't.

So, before I say "eff it" and sell the darn thing and buy a single plus one, what are my options? Is there a license plate holder that lets me swap display positions WITHOUT tools? Can I hang it in my back window maybe?

Between the license plate holder and my backup camera being blocked, I don't like the rack. If I could solve at least the plate issue, I could be convinced to keep it. Otherwise keep an eye out on DC Used for what is essentially a brand new 2" super duty double.
    I'm sure there are magnetic license plate holders (like dealers use) that would allow you go quickly relocate your plate. You'd run into problems of 1)potential theft and 2)driving at night, when your plate is required to be illuminated. Neither is a huge deal or particularly likely, but probably not worth the risk for a bike rack. Also, are you sure the single rack will be any better? Looks very similar in "coverage" as the double.

I'm a roof rack fan myself, which has two primary downsides....height clearance and loading awkwardness. But for 4+ years, neither has actually been an issue.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I'm a roof rack fan myself, which has two primary downsides....height clearance and loading awkwardness. But for 4+ years, neither has actually been an issue.
    If you don't absolutely *need* to hit the nearest drive-thru for fast food after a hard race or all-day ride, we need your secret! :-)

I used a roof rack for awhile; they do work fine. I was surprised at the noticeably lower fuel economy (w/o bike), but only once did I almost drive my bike into a garage ceiling. It was lucky hat it was on a Honda Prelude so I actually fit under many "low-clearance" bars with my bike on top. I remember being disappointed to not be able to use a drive-thru post race, though, so I definitely will not do roof rack again.

Honestly, I never considered how visible my rear plate was with the rack up. I figured that this is what the front plate is for (in VA)! :-). I think it's actually fairly visible with the Kuat, but I'll check next time I put on the rack.

More t the point, in Europe, or at least the parts where people care about laws, I have seen license plates mounted to the outside of the racks. Not sure if it was a magnetic mount or something else. But this is definitely a problem that is well solved across the pond. License plate shapes aren't the same, but hopefully there is a good solution waiting out here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post

Might sound stupid, but are you allowed to have 3 license plates in Va? Or are you allowed to have both in the back (1 on the rack and 1 on the car)? It blows my mind that in some states (like Cal), you can at least temporarily drive without any license plates at all.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really like the rack there are ways to mount your tag in a way you can move it without tools. Magnets would be my first thought, like Hozn suggested. A couple nuts and bolts and creative use of a couple hydraulic hose couplings would be an option too. Both will require some figurin' and may be appalling third world solutions depending on your sensitivities.

(The front tag on my jeep is held on with safety wire.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ima suggest a benefit here. We drove to Key West the winter before last and, since that Florida toll system just shoots pics of your license plates and bills you, and they don't have front plates down there, we drove for free. You could do some crimes and not get caught. Etc.

I have the same car though and, as silly as I thought the backup camera was at first, now when I can't use it, I feel a bit blind. For such a reasonably sized car, it's odd how you can't see behind you very well.

Post Thanks / Like

The three plate solution would be ideal but given it's Virginia, I'm going to guess it's not legal.

I could keep the rack folded down BUT I've been rear ended at lights before and my old car was hit TWICE in my resident garage (HOW DO YOU HIT A PARKED CAR???) so I feel like making my car longer/bigger would be tempting fate. Too many distracted asshats in the area. Plus, both biceps are painfully bruised from raising and lowering the rack. It's not all that heavy, but I do have to squat down and use two hands to pull back on the release bar which puts the weight of the rack solely on my biceps. I'm a delicate flower.

I do really like the rack. The sucker is solid.

But, the single plus one that's now on order will be just as solid.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    If you don't absolutely *need* to hit the nearest drive-thru for fast food after a hard race or all-day ride, we need your secret! :-)

I used a roof rack for awhile; they do work fine. I was surprised at the noticeably lower fuel economy (w/o bike), but only once did I almost drive my bike into a garage ceiling. It was lucky hat it was on a Honda Prelude so I actually fit under many "low-clearance" bars with my bike on top. I remember being disappointed to not be able to use a drive-thru post race, though, so I definitely will not do roof rack again.
    I've been through a couple drive-thrus where it was reeeeally close, but none where I just couldn't get through. One McDonald's we recently hit had safety bars that were too low, but there wasn't actually anything in the drive-thru lane that hung out over the car, so I just went wide around the bar and through the drive-thru window like normal. Also, there may have been a hotel we stayed in with a garage where I had to take the bike off first, but most places we're driving with a bike on top, we're staying in places with parking lots.