Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially Sad News

Post Thanks / Like

Default Potentially Sad News

Hi all, I want to let you know that I will be leaving in a few weeks to live in the "other Washington." My last full day as a Virginia resident will be Sunday, September 10, before I fly out to live in Tukwila, WA, so I hope to see y'all at some point before then (my last day at work is this Thursday, so I will definitely be coming to more coffee clubs starting next week). This does not mean I will stop visiting this forum, but it might be a little less often.

Now, my parents and brother's family live in the area, so I will be leaving one of my bikes behind for use when I come back to visit (this also means I will be buying a new bike in Seattle!), so I hope to go riding with folks when I occasionally return (I'll give a heads up beforehand).

I'm focused right now on getting the things in my apartment ready for move (my U-Haul U-Box reservation is Monday, August 28), but between August 29-September 10 I will be completely free and ready to do lots of biking. I hope to ride with y'all before I go!

*By the way, this means that you will never see my City Bike (used for year-round all-weather commuting, Midnight Saddles rides, and hauling a trailer for transporting snow shovels, brooms, cat supplies, etc.) again once I load it into the U-Box on Monday, August 28, so give it a nice hug (it got nice and clean at the bike wash) if you see me on the trails this week.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

On a not-so-sad note, I was just in Seattle and drove through the Renton/Tukwila area and saw a shit-ton of people on bikes and some potentially awesome MUPs. Also, it was like 80 degrees with no humidity...Oh, and the LINK is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Why "Potentially"?

I'm glad I met you and got to ride with you at least a few times, especially on your history rides. I lead mountain bike rides, which are generally easy to set up and go. Your history rides are on a completely different level, with all the preride prep and obvious hard work that goes into them. I know many others appreciated them.

Not "potentially"; it's just sad that you're leaving us Best of luck on the west coast!

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

First stop in Seattle should be Fremont Brewing, just off the Burke-Gilman trail (Seattle's W&OD, basically). Enjoy, Seattle is awesome. It's on the short list of places I'd live if I didn't live here.

Post Thanks / Like

And now you can plan on doing the STP ride next year. I hope to see you at CCCC and WTFCC before you leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle is one of those places that upon visiting, I immediately thought to myself, "I could live here," so I knew I had to go live there someday. I've been way too distracted and stressed to check out Seattle's cycling community, but in the coming weeks I think I will look into it.

I've ridden on the Burke-Gilman Trail before (it was awesome), so I look forward to riding on it again. I'm already thinking of new rides to do when there including a Let's Bike the Light Rail and a full loop around Lake Washington. The Seattle to Portland ride looks intimidating yet intriguing, so I may just sign up for that next year.

The potentially sad part is that I will be sad to leave everyone (I'll miss y'all), but I am really excited to continue the adventure that is my life in a new part of the country (I've never lived outside Virginia before) that of course will include seeing everyone when I come back for visits.
    Last edited by bobco85; 08-21-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: a few extra words

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This does not mean I will stop visiting this forum, but it might be a little less often...I will be buying a new bike in Seattle!
    Best of luck with your move. In the interim before you buy a new bike if you decide to try out one of Seattle's dock-less bikeshare bikes please post what you thought of your experience on this forum, I'd be interested to read some first hand opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

As a coast-switcher myself I understand the stress of relocating and being all the way across the country from family. Enjoy the PNW. I long for it often. - Ken

Post Thanks / Like

This is an exciting time! I am really happy that you will get to have new experiences, meet new people, and video an entire different coast!

But yes, this is very sad for us. Hopefully I will get a chance to catch up and see you before you head out. Perhaps a special happy hour in your honour? I have been wanting to check out the new Heritage Brewing in Clarendon.

lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    This is an exciting time! I am really happy that you will get to have new experiences, meet new people, and video an entire different coast!

But yes, this is very sad for us. Hopefully I will get a chance to catch up and see you before you head out. Perhaps a special happy hour in your honour? I have been wanting to check out the new Heritage Brewing in Clarendon.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...rs-August-24th