Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presumed Columbia Pike Crash

Post Thanks / Like

Default Presumed Columbia Pike Crash

John Harpold, the store manager at Papillon Cycles, Columbia Pike, Arlington, was crashed out by a motor vehicle last night. From what I have been able to discern so far, only substantial bruising and a battle-tested helmet. For that, we are grateful. I do not know where this happened, but since John lives and works on the Pike, that is the most likely location.

Thus far this year, FOUR of our customers have had wrecks with cars in and around our section of Columbia Pike. Injuries ranging from concussion to broken bones. That does not include my mishap leading a shop ride on the Mt. Vernon Trail.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE.

I will post more as I can...

Be safe out there.
    Last edited by Starduster; 08-16-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope John is not permanently damaged and that he recovers quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Hope John is not permanently damaged and that he recovers quickly.
    Bailey Garfield indicates no, but I'm waiting to hear from John.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awful! I hope he's okay and heals quickly.

Are the majority of the crashes on Columbia Pike itself, or are they related to the intersection with Walter Reed Dr? I'm trying to get an idea of the area of danger around the store.

5. Likes scoot, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this. I hope John is relatively unscathed and is able to heal quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Thus far this year, FOUR of our customers have had wrecks with cars in and around our section of Columbia Pike.
    Yikes. Obviously that is four too many.

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea of the area of danger around the store.
    Me too. I wonder what is the total number of Pike crashes and whether that rate is increasing. To improve this situation, it could be helpful to collect as many details from the victims of these crashes as possible. (e.g. sidewalk vs. in-street riding, lane position, whether or not intersections or driveways were involved). In my travels up and down this part of the Pike (split fairly evenly amongst walking, biking, and driving), I'd guess that about 3/4 of the cyclists use the sidewalk. This percentage of course varies with time of day (higher during rush hour, lower off-peak). On many occasions I have noticed an in-street cyclist clinging dangerously close to the gutters, enough that bad drivers might be tempted to pass in lane. There are very few spots on the Pike in Arlington where the lane is wide enough to safely share with a motor vehicle.

Also, drivers can be quite aggressive about lane changing on the Pike, since either lane can be delayed suddenly at any time by a turning vehicle or a stopping bus. Many of these drivers don't have the requisite situational awareness to make those quick maneuvers safely, because... cell phones. A dangerous combination.

7. Likes Starduster, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about John and hope he recovers soon!

I do wish that transportation on that stretch of Columbia Pike was a little more geared to those living and working in the area, rather than as a thoroughfare for car commuters who live in Fairfax County.

9. Likes Starduster, bobco85, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I do wish that transportation on that stretch of Columbia Pike/Arlington Blvd/Lee Hwy/Walter Reed Dr was a little more geared to those living and working in the area, rather than as a thoroughfare for car commuters who live in Fairfax County.
    Stays true regardless of road listed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Stays true regardless of road listed
    I agree, but at least Arlington Blvd and Lee Highway have nearby alternatives.

Columbia Pike is becoming increasingly dense with residential housing for people who want to be close to work in DC. The intersection of Walter Reed and the Pike is about a mile from the MVT and the bridges leading into DC, and it's downhill the whole way. Would be cyclists can go an additional 3 or 4 miles out of their way in order take the 4MR, ABT or Custis trails into D.C., but ...

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but at least Arlington Blvd and Lee Highway have nearby alternatives.

Columbia Pike is becoming increasingly dense with residential housing for people who want to be close to work in DC. The intersection of Walter Reed and the Pike is about a mile from the MVT and the bridges leading into DC, and it's downhill the whole way. Would be cyclists can go an additional 3 or 4 miles out of their way in order take the 4MR, ABT or Custis trails into D.C., but ...
    I assume when this is done, 12th Street gets extended.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...n-already.html

Then when this is done http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/04/...connector.html

You have a comfortable route from Penrose to Pentagon City

It will take a while, but probably happen sooner than VDOT deciding its okay to inconvenience auto drivers on Columbia Pike.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about John and hope he recovers soon!

I do wish that transportation on that stretch of Columbia Pike was a little more geared to those living and working in the area, rather than as a thoroughfare for car commuters who live in Fairfax County.
    To be fair, the commuters increasingly live in Loudoun & PWC.