Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presumed Columbia Pike Crash

Post Thanks / Like

Just talked to John. He was just back from the Doctor- follow up visit. Scraped elbow, and very bruised ribs. Hurts like hell to take a deep breath. He says hi... Yuki says hi, too.

His mishap was on Monday night, on the Pike, near Bob & Edith's. John wasn't sure if he was hit directly or brushed- he remembers a car way-too-close, going down, then standing up, going, "WTF?" The vehicle didn't stop. He then checked into an Emergency Room the next morning.

Of the other mishaps, 2 were on Columbia Pike, I think in the Bob & Edith's area again, and the other on South Courthouse Road, a block north, which is still the Columbia Pike corridor. Customers hurt in all of those. Both of us have *major* concerns about riding safety on this road, and there aren't safe options that don't take you well out of your way. I have been using the Pike past the new Freedman's Bridge for my Monuments At Night Rides because I still don't have another option that allows me to use Lady Bird Johnson Park as an enroute meetup point. The bike boulevards are good only as far as Arlington's famed "in many disconnected segments" streets allow. And there is the speed and density of this major car & bus corridor to consider. Even if you or I are *fit, fast, and fearless/foolish*, there is still considerable risk. Yet look at how many ride there, because they must.

I'm pissed. I live on the Pike. My fave bike shop is on the Pike. And now a friend has been hurt riding it. My wife worries about me on that road, and WILL NOT ride it. That should not be. It is time to make some change happen.
    Last edited by Starduster; 08-18-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Trying to be halfway eloquent...

2. Likes scoot, elbows, dasgeh, Judd, Emm and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the aftermath of a crash on my way home tonight near the ramp to 395 at the Freedman's Bridge. Cyclist lying in the crosswalk. Appeared conscious. Looked like the paramedics were just preparing him for transport. I asked the three people that were standing on my side of the road if they had seen the crash, but they hadn't. I wasn't able to make sense of what had happened from looking at the scene. This part of the Pike particularly sucks for pedestrians and cyclists despite being redone when the bridge was rebuilt. Cars routinely make right turns on to the 395 ramp during times that the lane is straight only. Coming home at night, my rough estimate is that 2/3rds of cars exiting 27 don't stop at the red light or stop in the crosswalk.

4. Likes EasyRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Just talked to John. He was just back from the Doctor- follow up visit. Scraped elbow, and very bruised ribs. Hurts like hell to take a deep breath. He says hi... Yuki says hi, too.

His mishap was on Monday night, on the Pike, near Bob & Edith's. John wasn't sure if he was hit directly or brushed- he remembers a car way-too-close, going down, then standing up, going, "WTF?" The vehicle didn't stop. He then checked into an Emergency Room the next morning.
    Rib injuries suck. They hurt like hell and they take forever to heal. I'm glad to hear that John's probably not going to be permanently damaged.

Add me to the list of people that have been buzzed at Bob and Edith's. I got buzzed by a Domino's driver once which at allowed me to call the store and voice a complaint with the manager.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I assume when this is done, 12th Street gets extended.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...n-already.html

Then when this is done http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/04/...connector.html

You have a comfortable route from Penrose to Pentagon City

It will take a while, but probably happen sooner than VDOT deciding its okay to inconvenience auto drivers on Columbia Pike.
    Not only will it take years, it's also a pretty big detour.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    This part of the Pike particularly sucks for pedestrians and cyclists despite being redone when the bridge was rebuilt.
    And also despite the fact that there are FOUR Capital Bikeshare stations on the 1 mile stretch of Columbia Pike between Walter Reed and the Air Force Memorial, including two stations that are less than a block away from the Washington Blvd intersection.

I've been taking the lane on that stretch of the Pike for the last 3 years, but I'm reconsidering after these incidents. I have no doubt someone is going to be seriously injured or killed as efforts to encourage cycling in the corridor, like Bikeshare, colllide (literally) with the lack of infrastructure improvements and traffic enforcement.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to make this about me instead of John but as someone with two accidents on the Pike in the past 14 years (and no accidents elsewhere in the DMV FWTW despite somewhere close to 75K miles locally), I can't help but be somewhat frustrated by the lack of improvement even around Freedman's Bridge.

I now avoid the Pike as much as possible, but the alternatives add a lot of distance.

11. Likes Starduster liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has seen the staff presentations about this area at the BAC, I would say that Arlington County doesn't take the problems in this area seriously enough. They had an opportunity to do more with the Freeman's Bridge, they could have moved up construction of the Hoffman-Boston Connector, they had an opportunity to do more with the realignment of Columbia Pike. ACPD came to the BAC, having reviewed the reports, and basically said "this kind of thing happens". No plans for increased enforcement.

The good news is that 2 of the 3 infrastructure opportunities still exist, and ACPD could always change their enforcement priorities. But the County needs to hear from you: countymanager@arlingtonva.us countyboard@arlingtonva.us

Specific asks could be:
    1) Have ACPD prioritize traffic enforcement on the Pike between Courthouse Road and the Air Force Memorial. Strictly enforce the 3-feet-when-passing law. Strictly enforce the yield-to-people-in-crosswalks law. Strictly enforce the no-right-turn-from-center-lane at the times when it is not allowed. Strictly enforce the speed limit.
    2) Add signs to this section of the Pike indicating that drivers should expect people walking and biking in the area; and that bikes can and should use the full lane, and that cars must give 3 feet to pass them.
    3) Move up the construction of the Hoffman-Boston connector within the CIP, and include a safe, comfortable, convenient connection to 12th Street South.
    4) Ensure that the realignment of the Pike includes safe, comfortable bike facilities.

13. Likes scoot, huskerdont, EasyRider, Steve O liked this post