Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MVT in the vicinity of DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Talking to the NPS guys emptying trash is how I have gotten the best information.
    Are you Dilbert?

e.g. http://lh6.ggpht.com/-5dcwzq2rAmU/T7...png?imgmax=800

2. Likes anomad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass everywhere this morning.

Call NPS frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a nice conversation with Jeffrey Hitchcock at the maintenance office this morning. They've had several reports about the glass north of the north overpass. I also mentioned the glass at the Airport Access Road underpass and the bits of paper strewn about.
    He said they are very aware of and concerned about this (just takes one person to fall in that..) and have been working with police to try to catch the perp.
    It's clearly not an easy situation unless you can stake out a dozen cops along the trail during the wee hours.

5. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    It's clearly not an easy situation unless you can stake out a dozen cops...
    what, like when NPP decide to enforce the stop signs at HP?

7. Likes AlexandriaBiker, ursus, Emm, hozn, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've flatted twice because of the glass along the bridge (back in May and June!).
    I imagine it could be someone disgruntled with cyclists on the trail going and deliberately breaking the glass overnight.
    In past years, there have been some characters on the trail who have been openly aggressive towards riders... could be something similar.

I'd consider stashing a broom along each of the bridges if I thought there was any chance it wouldn't be picked up and thrown away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    I've flatted twice because of the glass along the bridge (back in May and June!).
    I've been doing a thorough check of my tires ever day or two since this started, and I hope other MVT riders are doing the same. Last night I pulled 6 shards of glass out of my back tire (along with a piece of metal...), and 2 from the front. It's a new record--usually it's only 1-2 little pieces each day or two. I have some pretty major gouges too in the back which all appeared after April, which glass and sharp stones have been getting re-embedded into. I'm a little ticked since it looks like I'll have to change out my rear tire well before the tread wears down due to the gouges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I'm a little ticked since it looks like I'll have to change out my rear tire well before the tread wears down due to the gouges.
    Super glue can close up cuts in the tread sometimes. Lower the tire pressure, squeeze the cut open, add a couple drops and let close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    what, like when NPP decide to enforce the stop signs at HP?
    Friendly reminder everyone:

Tonight there will be an overnight bicycle race on the Mount Vernon Trail. The course involves various loops through the Gravelly Point parking lot as well as timed sprints between Gravelly Point and Crystal City. We will be recklessly running all stop signs and vastly exceeding trail speed limits. To qualify for prizes, participants must drink a beer each lap and smash the bottle somewhere along the course at a location of their choosing.

Most of you already know the exact time of this event. So I won't post the details again here, because I'm concerned that the Park Police might now be listening on this channel. We certainly don't want them to show up.

12. ELITE chris_s, bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Friendly reminder everyone:

Tonight there will be an overnight bicycle race on the Mount Vernon Trail. The course involves various loops through the Gravelly Point parking lot as well as timed sprints between Gravelly Point and Crystal City. We will be recklessly running all stop signs and vastly exceeding trail speed limits. To qualify for prizes, participants must drink a beer each lap and smash the bottle somewhere along the course at a location of their choosing.

Most of you already know the exact time of this event. So I won't post the details again here, because I'm concerned that the Park Police might now be listening on this channel. We certainly don't want them to show up.
    We didn't get a permit for the organized, competitive, for profit event either. F@#k the police!

14. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More info. This morning I was on the Crystal Drive bike path (northbound) near the Starbucks at 23d St. There was a smashed Miller High Life bottle in the bike path. That would suggest a ped (the Miller High Life lowlife) walking north from the southern end of Crystal City and towards the District. The farthest north I've observed clear glass in the trail is the porta-potties at Gravelly Point.

Kudos to the staff in Crystal City as I returned about 90 minutes later to clear the bike path and all the glass had been removed.

I asked the CC BID if they would see if there is any security video of that area last night.

16. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts, Emm liked this post