Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: MVT in the vicinity of DCA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default MVT in the vicinity of DCA

    Has this come up yet, or has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of broken glass in certain parts of the trail recently?

    This is the level of glass I expect to see in SE DC, but it seems very out of place on the MVT. Also, it seems to me that most of the glass is in places where the trail has a "backboard", where for example if a passenger in a car on the GWP tossed a glass bottle, it would shatter against the wall making a bigger mess on the trail.

    I just hope this isn't a thing now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    1,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Has this come up yet, or has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of broken glass in certain parts of the trail recently?
    ...
    I just hope this isn't a thing now.
    Sadly, it is a thing. Broken glass on the MVT has been reported for the past 2 months with efforts spent entirely on clean-up but no enforcement.
    July 2017 Road & Trail Conditions: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...nditions/page5
    August 2017 Road & Trail Conditions: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ail-Conditions

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mount Vernon
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This has been going on for the last couple of months. Bobco85 is right. The glass is nearly always on one of the trail bridges or underpasses where glass can be smashed against a wall. I don't know if someone is throwing the bottles out of a car. Hitting the bridges on the fly would be hard to do. I don't know if it's a coincidence but I saw two bicyclists fixing flats this morning.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    This has been going on for the last couple of months. Bobco85 is right. The glass is nearly always on one of the trail bridges or underpasses where glass can be smashed against a wall. I don't know if someone is throwing the bottles out of a car. Hitting the bridges on the fly would be hard to do. I don't know if it's a coincidence but I saw two bicyclists fixing flats this morning.
    Shredded paper, french fry and ketchup packaging, piles of cigarette butts, and, lately, beer bottles. I've seen these things for many years on the trail between the old "A" terminal and Gravelly Point. In the 90s, the mess regularly extended as far north as the 14th St. Bridge ramp. I think it's all the same hard luck character. I don't think it comes from cars. It is someone walking the trail late night or early morning.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Sadly, it is a thing. Broken glass on the MVT has been reported for the past 2 months with efforts spent entirely on clean-up but no enforcement.
    Well that sucks....

    Yeah, I could tolerate the shredded paper and the McDonalds garbage, but broken bottles is not ok. That clearly falls under the fucking with other people clause of the - you don't fuck with me, I won't fuck with you motto. Is it really too much to ask for Arlington, or the airport authority or NPS, or whoever the hell has jurisdiction to set up a camera to keep an eye out for this?

    Thanks to all those who helped to clean up the mess. I admit I haven't stopped yet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    whoever the hell has jurisdiction
    That would be the George Washington Memorial Parkway unit of the National Park Service. https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/manag...andoffices.htm

    I suggest you contact them. A lot.

    I call them so much I am probably known as "that guy" around the office. "You sound like that guy that calls every time there is single piece of glass on the bike path?"

  7. Likes creadinger, bobco85, KWL liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    That would be the George Washington Memorial Parkway of the National Park Service. https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/manag...andoffices.htm
    Operators are standing by:

    Alexcy Romero, Superintendent
    703‑289‑2500

    Blanca Stransky, Deputy Superintendent
    703‑289‑2500

    Dawn Phillips, Administrative Officer
    703‑289‑2521

    Lee Werst, Chief of Visitor Services
    703‑289‑2531

    Tony Migliaccio, Chief of Maintenance
    703‑419‑6412

    Twitter @NPSGWMP

    Also the US Park Police at 202-610-7505 (this is the non-emergency number)
    Last edited by dbb; 08-16-2017 at 01:26 PM.

  9. Likes dasgeh, creadinger, Steve O, bobco85 liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There was glass on two of the bridges and two underpasses this morning. Komorebi and I stopped to talk to an NPS employee at Gravelly Point who said that he'd call it in to Tony. He also told us that a cyclist ended up with a broken collarbone this week when the cyclist went off the trail to pass people in the grass and ended up hitting a hidden hole in the grass. I seem to recall someone else on the forum posting about a similar situation a while back.

  11. Likes creadinger, anomad liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I called, spoke to Ms. Phillips. who is not the right person, and hope to hear back. The person who is breaking the glass is rather obsessive about engaging in vandalism, which might make them more dangerous than the actual acts they are doing.

  13. Likes creadinger liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    There was glass on two of the bridges and two underpasses this morning. Komorebi and I stopped to talk to an NPS employee at Gravelly Point who said that he'd call it in to Tony. He also told us that a cyclist ended up with a broken collarbone this week when the cyclist went off the trail to pass people in the grass and ended up hitting a hidden hole in the grass. I seem to recall someone else on the forum posting about a similar situation a while back.

    Talking to the NPS guys emptying trash is how I have gotten the best information.

  15. Likes Judd liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •