Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: n+1, a road bike edition

Post Thanks / Like

Default n+1, a road bike edition

Starting to think about getting a true road bike - I have several drop bar bikes, but none work well for longer weekend rides. My cross bike is super light and has a more upright HT angle but it's a 1x and the gearing isn't great for flat sections (I spin out!) and not great for longer climbs (my legs die).

Wants:
    Carbon
    2x
    Hydros
    SRAM <-- and that's the kicker. Why is everything shimano? I have nothing against shimano but all of the rest of my bikes are SRAM and I'd rather stay with one shifting mechanism.

I don't want to do a frame only build. I don't want to swap out the groupset. I'd rather not have eTap.

I've looked at Jamis, Kona (oh the Zone LTD! But it's tubular...why? WTH?), Felt (I gave up on their web site, I couldn't figure out how to get to specs or get any details other than marketing fluff), Cervelo, Trek, Specialized. I'd be ok with a bike that comes as a SRAM 1x so long as it's set up for a FD. There have been a few potentials in there but geometry wise they're more like a CX bike and if I'm going to wind up with a bike like that, I'd just get a second of my CX bike since I love it and it can take a front derailleur. (Plus, it's cheaper than a road bike.)

Is this a unicorn bike?

2. Likes ian74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just tagged you in a sweet deal on the DC Used FB page for a nice BMC. Top tube is 52cm. I think that's your size and it hits all your wish lists.

4. Likes Tania liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cannondale Supersix Evo can be had with SRAM Red HRD (non-eTap), but it's spendy. The Synapse version is much more reasonably priced, but comes with a 1x crankset.

Also:

Canyon Ultimate WMN CF SLX Disc 8.0 Team CSR

Focus Paralane (1x though...)

6. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doh! Totally forgot to check out Cannondales.

Ian - I want disc brakes. No budging on that one. You'd be more likely to get me to buy shimano.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Trek Domane which I find to be comfy with a relaxed geometry, but the Treks all come with Shimano drivetrains. I don't know that it would fit your style either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Doh! Totally forgot to check out Cannondales.

Ian - I want disc brakes. No budging on that one. You'd be more likely to get me to buy shimano.
    Oh, I glossed right over the "hydros." I respect that. Sorry, I saw that bike list this morning and it was a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    I saw that bike list this morning and it was a good deal.
    It's a steal!

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to think about getting a true road bike - I have several drop bar bikes, but none work well for longer weekend rides. My cross bike is super light and has a more upright HT angle but it's a 1x and the gearing isn't great for flat sections (I spin out!) and not great for longer climbs (my legs die).

Wants:
    Carbon
    2x
    Hydros
    SRAM <-- and that's the kicker. Why is everything shimano? I have nothing against shimano but all of the rest of my bikes are SRAM and I'd rather stay with one shifting mechanism.

I don't want to do a frame only build. I don't want to swap out the groupset. I'd rather not have eTap.

I've looked at Jamis, Kona (oh the Zone LTD! But it's tubular...why? WTH?), Felt (I gave up on their web site, I couldn't figure out how to get to specs or get any details other than marketing fluff), Cervelo, Trek, Specialized. I'd be ok with a bike that comes as a SRAM 1x so long as it's set up for a FD. There have been a few potentials in there but geometry wise they're more like a CX bike and if I'm going to wind up with a bike like that, I'd just get a second of my CX bike since I love it and it can take a front derailleur. (Plus, it's cheaper than a road bike.)

Is this a unicorn bike?
    What about building up from a bare frame? The hardest part for most home mechanics will be bleeding the brakes after cutting the lines to fit, if the frame runs internal housing/hoses. I really think you're leaving some things on the table by not considering this!

I find building up bikes from scratch to be pretty fun - just finished my GFs 2018 S-Works Crux!

Edit - you can get Force 22 hydro for pretty cheap these days.
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 08-09-2017 at 03:13 PM.

12. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Building up from a frame is actually what Jan and I were just talking about. The Jamis Xenith ticks all of my boxes (except for the SRAM part). It's sold out so I'm going to wait to see what they 2018 release is and if it's frame only, that puppy is mine.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

^^ because I'm the Queen of Spreadsheets.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Building up from a frame is actually what Jan and I were just talking about. The Jamis Xenith ticks all of my boxes (except for the SRAM part). It's sold out so I'm going to wait to see what they 2018 release is and if it's frame only, that puppy is mine.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

^^ because I'm the Queen of Spreadsheets.
    If you're going to build, I wonder if it might be cheaper to buy a complete, base-level bike with the frame you want, then sell the unused stock parts and replace with the ones you want. These days, standalone frames aren't that much cheaper than complete bikes. That would also moot the Shimano/SRAM from-the-factory issue. You mentioned this as a non-starter in the OP, but now it seems like building is on the table, so swapping groupsets might as well be too!