Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Pumpkin Ride 2017

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    One needs to register for one of the three distances - 32 miles, 53 miles, 67 miles.

The only "official" group ride I have ever done was 13 colonies, which was only 15 miles I think. I have done donut rides, BobCo rides, a Potomac Pedalers Loop ride, and a CBG beginners ride, but all were at what folks would consider a pretty relaxed pace, I guess. My cautious, gradualist sense says to just register for the 32 miles. OTOH the price is the same anyway, so I would like to go longer. OTOH I would hate to miss Old Bust Head because I am taking so long. I would also prefer to ride with a group, and suspect groups at my pace (the other day I managed to do 14th Street bridge to 4MRT at 15.4 MPH, wind at my back I think, but usually I do my whole commute at 11 to 13MPH) will be easier to find on the shorter lengths.

Your suggestions (other than reminding me of rule #5 ) appreciated.
    Sign up for the long ride. You can always change on the fly. Usually the rides overlap during the first section, giving you some time to decide if you want to bail to a shorter ride or stick it out with gang of turtles, et al.

Post Thanks / Like

Go on ahead if you like. But if we pass you while you're asleep alongside the road, you'll never hear the end of it!

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I think I may have a hockey stick around somewhere.
    Although I think there was also a mild clamor for sewer rat.
    Or my physique is about right for bebop
    I located the hockey stick, so I will claim Casey Jones.
    Last edited by Steve O; 09-13-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: gotta work on my haircut

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Pumpkin Ride 2017

I registered for this, but would advocate against biking in capes as I discovered last year as Wonder Woman. With the wind, the cape was a literal drag when it wasn't whooping around my face so I couldn't see. Given the overwhelming response to TMNT, perhaps another (in addition to the turtle power team) 90's TV show team could be considered so we don't end up with 10 people dressed as pizzas. Any ideas? Thundercats?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Any ideas? Thundercats?

You should dress up as a Thundercat pizza.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered for this, but would advocate against biking in capes as I discovered last year as Wonder Woman. With the wind, the cape was a literal drag when it wasn't whooping around my face so I couldn't see. Given the overwhelming response to TMNT, perhaps another (in addition to the turtle power team) 90's TV show team could be considered so we don't end up with 10 people dressed as pizzas. Any ideas? Thundercats?
    This is my hope, that somehow this will enable me, riding in kit, to keep up with the folks riding in costumes. Not that I am counting on that

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good reminder to think of possible weather and how to modify your costume for the weather so that you're safe and comfortable. It was VERY windy last year. LSG, Komorebi and I had cardboard foxes attached to our bikes which acted like sails. At one point, LSG and I were pushed three feet to the side during a gust. The gnome hats also acted like sails and our heads were blown about most of the day.

The past two years have been chilly in the morning with a warm up during the ride. Last year was super windy.

9. Likes Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve just signed up for the pumpkin snugglefest. Not sure what I will wear… my standard costume for years was a mini-skirted tennis outfit wrapped in heavy chains with cigarettes dangling from strings. This was for street theatre protesting tobacco industry sponsorship of sporting events (like the Virginia Slims tennis tournament). It also made a fun Halloween costume. But I think the Pumpkin Ride will be a bit chilly, so I’d best find an option B. Costume suggestions welcome!

Also…I don’t have a bike rack. Grateful if I can hitch a ride to Warrenton if anyone has space. Happy to contribute gas $$ and treats.

Thanks! w&w

11. Likes Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Costume suggestions welcome!

Thanks! w&w
    You should dress up like a sexy pizza.

13. Likes Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    You should dress up like a sexy pizza.
    At first I thought this was funny, but then I googled it and found out there is such thing as a sexy pizza costume. God help us all.

15. Likes Bob James, Judd liked this post