Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Encourage NPS to fix the Trollheim & Maybe Do Other Stuff on and around TR Island

Post Thanks / Like

Default Encourage NPS to fix the Trollheim & Maybe Do Other Stuff on and around TR Island

The National Park Service is starting the Environmental Review Process for doing potential upgrades to TR Island and the area directly surrounding it. One of the potential improvements: Rehabilitate Bridge 31 on Mt. Vernon Trail of
    the George Washington Memorial Parkway for safer pedestrian/bicycle travel. What NPS calls "Bridge 31" you may know as: The Trollheim.

NPS is accepting comments here on their website through September 8th. They're also (bizarrely) holding an Open House TODAY from 12:30pm-4:00pm on TR Island itself. So you know, if you've got nothing better to do this afternoon, feel free to roll on over.

I encourage everyone to share their comments here as well so that folks can crib from eachother. I'll be taking a "Yes fix Bridge 31 and ALSO do all of these other things" approach to my comments. Anything inside this lovely red box is fair game:

COMMENT NOW

2. Likes dasgeh, scoot, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    The National Park Service is starting the Environmental Review Process for doing potential upgrades to TR Island and the area directly surrounding it. One of the potential improvements: Rehabilitate Bridge 31 on Mt. Vernon Trail of
    the George Washington Memorial Parkway for safer pedestrian/bicycle travel. What NPS calls "Bridge 31" you may know as: The Trollheim.

NPS is accepting comments here on their website through September 8th. They're also (bizarrely) holding an Open House TODAY from 12:30pm-4:00pm on TR Island itself. So you know, if you've got nothing better to do this afternoon, feel free to roll on over.

I encourage everyone to share their comments here as well so that folks can crib from eachother. I'll be taking a "Yes fix Bridge 31 and ALSO do all of these other things" approach to my comments. Anything inside this lovely red box is fair game:

COMMENT NOW
    The TR Bridge itself is inside that box; is that also fair game? Because if it is, there's a pony out there I want.

i will comment either way.

4. Likes dasgeh, scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    The TR Bridge itself is inside that box; is that also fair game? Because if it is, there's a pony out there I want.

i will comment either way.
    You can comment on it, but I suspect the NPS response will be "that's DDOT's jurisdiction". It can't hurt.

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about connecting the pedestrian/bike facility on the SOUTH side of the TR bridge (raise your hand if you knew such a thing existed) to something, anything, on the Virginia side, like maybe the MVT (which should be inside the red box). Now if you get on that path, easily accessible from the DC side, it dumps you into a wilderness on the wrong side of the GW Parkway. With better access, making the TR bridge bike/ped crossings one-way corresponding to the flow of cars could be considered as a way to reduce mid-bridge conflicts and encourage more use.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone should post a link to the Trollheim crash thread, so they can start getting an idea of how many victims there are. I'll leave the honors for someone who has actually laid down hard on the slippery boards wondering "WTF?!"

9. ELITE Vicegrip ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    How about connecting the pedestrian/bike facility on the SOUTH side of the TR bridge (raise your hand if you knew such a thing existed) to something, anything, on the Virginia side, like maybe the MVT (which should be inside the red box). Now if you get on that path, easily accessible from the DC side, it dumps you into a wilderness on the wrong side of the GW Parkway.
    ???

Well, I'll be damned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR-south.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	15305

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    How about connecting the pedestrian/bike facility on the SOUTH side of the TR bridge (raise your hand if you knew such a thing existed) to something, anything, on the Virginia side, like maybe the MVT (which should be inside the red box). Now if you get on that path, easily accessible from the DC side, it dumps you into a wilderness on the wrong side of the GW Parkway. With better access, making the TR bridge bike/ped crossings one-way corresponding to the flow of cars could be considered as a way to reduce mid-bridge conflicts and encourage more use.
    One, I'm not sure I'd characterize the south side as "easily accessible" in DC. Randomly, surprisingly, sure.

Two, one way for each side would be terrible, as the D.C. sides are in very different locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Done, though I just realized I failed to mention the "trail" between the Kennedy Center and the river. I did mention that the entire MVT except for that section newly redone by the TR Island parking lot is bumpy, divoted, and too narrow to be safe for a heavily used recreational/commuter corridor.

If the Memorial Bridge underpass were in that red box, I would have asked for another pony.

14. Likes creadinger, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    One, I'm not sure I'd characterize the south side as "easily accessible" in DC. Randomly, surprisingly, sure.
    While it is no biketopia, at least there is a paved trail on the DC side that connects the southside bridge path to other infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Two, one way for each side would be terrible, as the D.C. sides are in very different locations.
    A thought experiment. Not really my neighborhood.

My real point is: we have a perfectly serviceable (although admittedly not ideal) piece of segregated infrastructure built and paid for, but it is useless and unused because somebody forgot to connect the other end to anything.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 08-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.

16. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Done, though I just realized I failed to mention the "trail" between the Kennedy Center and the river. I did mention that the entire MVT except for that section newly redone by the TR Island parking lot is bumpy, divoted, and too narrow to be safe for a heavily used recreational/commuter corridor.

If the Memorial Bridge underpass were in that red box, I would have asked for another pony.
    FWIW, I also think that they did an excellent job of redoing the Humpback Bridge and its approaches a few years ago. Remember how narrow the bridge itself was and how steep the western approach was?