Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default August 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Glass on (again!) on the MVT bridge just north of the turnoff for the CC Connector.

I helped another cyclist clean most of it up. She had already gotten much of it up when I arrived. Thank you.

Maybe if we could convince the USPP that this is as serious as young people selling bottles of cold water on the Mall, they would form an undercover task force and do stake outs. From tree stands maybe? A few surveillance cameras might work as well.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

As of Monday, the storm drain detour at Foundry Branch (just outside G-town) is now in place on the CCT. All things considered, the detour is actually impressively well-executed and signed. I think the wooden ramps (with grip strips) may become problematic as they get worn and the grip strips peel off, which they're starting to do already, but I didn't have any problems on them during the torrential downpour on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll switch to covering the ramps with grip sheets instead of strips, but the ramps themselves are pretty solid otherwise.

3. Likes ursus liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Tree down on the Custis by Lyon Village

This happened last night, before 7:30pm, and went I went by people were reporting it. The car had landed on a car, and it seems they only bothered to cut enough to free the car, leaving the trail blocked. Not cool, Arlington, not cool

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

5. Likes ursus, DrP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Tree down on the Custis by Lyon Village

This happened last night, before 7:30pm, and went I went by people were reporting it. The car had landed on a car, and it seems they only bothered to cut enough to free the car, leaving the trail blocked. Not cool, Arlington, not cool
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I didn't see this until I got to work and had already reported it on the Arlington web page. So, it is reported again. I did point out that it was just after a blind curve.

As I was coming down the straightaway after the S curve, one of the year round joggers I see was coming up the hill. I regularly greet her and rarely hear a response (volume? My speed? No response?). Today the conversation was:
    Me: Good Morning!
    Jogger: Tree
    Me: Thank you!

I promptly slowed down. Which was a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that downed tree very early this morning (about 3:15) while I was heading in the opposite direction, so I saw it well in advance. I would have posted here at that time if I owned a smart phone.

BTW, there were several downed trees between Hamilton Station Road and Ivandale Road on the W&OD this morning. but they probably have been removed by now,
    Last edited by ursus; 08-04-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    As of Monday, the storm drain detour at Foundry Branch (just outside G-town) is now in place on the CCT. All things considered, the detour is actually impressively well-executed and signed. I think the wooden ramps (with grip strips) may become problematic as they get worn and the grip strips peel off, which they're starting to do already, but I didn't have any problems on them during the torrential downpour on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll switch to covering the ramps with grip sheets instead of strips, but the ramps themselves are pretty solid otherwise.
    Oh, that is what is going on there! Thanks for the link.

BTW, the detour was already being used on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big puddle on Custis - Look ma, no feet!

On Custis, lowest point between Spout Run and Bridge to Nowhere there is a very large puddle - likely blocked drain (submitted service request). I highly recommend taking it at full speed, removing feet from pedals and raising legs up the in the air. Great splashes! (you will get wet no matter what, so why not have fun with this).

Also, submitted service requests for a few low hanging braches or trees behind Lyon Village.

10. Likes bobco85, Emm, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    On Custis, lowest point between Spout Run and Bridge to Nowhere there is a very large puddle - likely blocked drain (submitted service request). I highly recommend taking it at full speed, removing feet from pedals and raising legs up the in the air. Great splashes!
    Don't forget to yell "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" the entire way. It's scientifically proven to make you go faster.

12. Likes Steve O, bobco85, Emm, DrP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Don't forget to yell "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" the entire way. It's scientifically proven to make you go faster.
    Oh, that is a given. I did that and I am certain it increased the height of the water splashing too.

14. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    On Custis, lowest point between Spout Run and Bridge to Nowhere there is a very large puddle - likely blocked drain (submitted service request). I highly recommend taking it at full speed, removing feet from pedals and raising legs up the in the air. Great splashes! (you will get wet no matter what, so why not have fun with this).
    Since so many reported this yesterday (DrP plus a couple of people I talked to), I didn't report it. However, if they did anything, they only did enough for the water that was there to drain. Much of the muck still covers the drain, so the next time there's heavy rain, it will happen again. Since I rarely bring a shovel or a rake with me while riding, Ima be a greasy wheel.

It seems that if we bother to do anything anymore, we only use half of our ass, not the whole thing.